Do Mountain bike racers shave their legs?

Idi Merckx
Idi Merckx Posts: 19
edited March 2009 in XC and Enduro
Sorry. I'm a refugee from the road racing forum.

Just curious.

please be gentle with me.

Large crowds of people in baggy shorts make me feel nervous

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Idi Merckx wrote:
    Do Mountain bike racers shave their legs?
    Not only do they shave their legs but they use fake tan as well*

* allegedly
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Mountainbikers do not shave their legs. We have our groupies do it for us.
  • even if they all did, I wouldn't. My body, my rules. I'm too hairy to get a good grading done anywhere so just leave it as cavemen intended it to be and deal with any problems from it without moaning :P
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    nope unlike roadies we are real men and keep the hair on.

The shaven ones are imposters!
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • baccodaddy
    baccodaddy Posts: 128
    i used to not shave legs but after one muddy race when my legs were covered in mud and then due to sun and wind had my own pair of mud shinpads,i now shave the lot,but then again i have candles round my bath and nice plant pots in my house ???
  • baccodaddy
    i used to not shave legs but after one muddy race when my legs were covered in mud and then due to sun and wind had my own pair of mud shinpads,i now shave the lot,but then again i have candles round my bath and nice plant pots in my house ???
  • Billy...
    Billy... Posts: 5
    Mountain bikers only shave their legs when they're getting stitches from their injuries.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    The good ones do.

The ones who say things about how mountain bikers don't shave their legs never win anything.
  • Alex
    whyamihere wrote:
    I'm a roadie who's lost touch with his muddy side.
  • Comedy clown clothing and bikes which do more bouncing up and down than going forward = hairy legs.
    proper lycra cycling clothing and bikes which go forwards = shaved legs.
  • deadliest
    deadliest Posts: 471
    Comedy clown clothing and bikes which do more bouncing up and down than going forward = hairy legs.

skin tight lycra, Small lunchboxes and riding in little packs like flocks of sheep = Shaved Legs
    Functional clothing bright enough for people to see you charging downhill, And a bike which can can take the abuse a real man can dish out = Hairy legs
    :lol:

Joking aside its each to their own I would'nt shave my legs and neither would the wife :shock:
    Bikes are drugs and Im pedalling

http://sherwoodpines.yolasite.com/
  • superlight bike SHAVE . downhiller HAIRY . shave in the summer keep the fur on in the winter :lol:dont know about the small lunchboxes though speak for yourself dude
  • streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    If you go to serious xc races you will soon see for yourself who do or dont.

I personally, dont, but I can see the appeal. Especially for those who take part in multi-day races where massages are necessary.

As Bacodaddy says, shaved legs will hold less crap than hairy ones.

There is also the issue of Ticks, which will be less able to grab onto the smooth surfaces.
  • stevieboy
    stevieboy Posts: 704
    I've won a race and i don't shave :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Scott Scale Custom
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09729.jpg

Kona Coilair 2007 Dark Peak Destroyer
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09727.jpg

"BOCD - If it aint perfect it aint good enough"
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    A certain subset of mountain bikers shave their legs, wear tight lycra clothes and worry excessively about weight.

Women shave their legs, wear tight lycra clothes and worry excessively about weight.

Ergo these so called mountain bikers either have, or are, vaginas.

*bow*
  • Alex
    deadliest wrote:
    Comedy clown clothing and bikes which do more bouncing up and down than going forward = hairy legs.

skin tight lycra, Small lunchboxes and riding in little packs like flocks of sheep = Shaved Legs
    Functional clothing bright enough for people to see you charging downhill, And a bike which can can take the abuse a real man can dish out = Hairy legs

Goodbye mould!
    pbpic3001005.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    shin0r
    or they are called Alex.

:wink:

Please note the Visor has also been removed.

and yes the run was faster!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    Clearly photoshopped, for a start there's no toaster :lol: In all fairness you don't have to be a physicist to work out that less resistance = more potential speed, so how come the pro DH circuit is so against skinsuits (are they still banned?)
  • deadliest
    deadliest Posts: 471
    shin0r wrote:
    A certain subset of mountain bikers shave their legs, wear tight lycra clothes and worry excessively about weight.

Women shave their legs, wear tight lycra clothes and worry excessively about weight.

Ergo these so called mountain bikers either have, or are, vaginas.

*bow*

:lol: Answer in a nutshell :lol:

Alex
    Its black lycra so that can be forgiven ( I am under the assumption that there were not six more people behind you dressed exactly the same )

That formation lycra cycling is just downright creepy
    Bikes are drugs and Im pedalling

http://sherwoodpines.yolasite.com/
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    there is a reason cyclists wear lycra, its more functional, those who don't must have something to hide or care far too much about what others they do not know may think of them
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Never shaved my legs never worn lycra. Done plenty of xc'ing mind. Where is the need in looking daft? :P
  • baccodaddy
    not being funny but it only looks daft if you have abeer belly and no muscle definition in that case stay away from lycra but if not try doing transalp in a pair of baggies with hairy legs and then get back to us ?i think it would change your mind
  • endurojcb
    endurojcb Posts: 170
    shin0r wrote:
    so how come the pro DH circuit is so against skinsuits (are they still banned?)

They're against them cos they look stupid! I think they pretty much only wear skinsuits for the DH World Cup. Skinsuits and full face helmets don't work well together! The men look stupid in them, but the women look okay though! :D
    2007 Merlin Malt 4
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    I shave me legs and dont care who sees em. They look bloody marvellous especially with a gud tan :D
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'