Footbeds

Barry Nice
Barry Nice Posts: 50
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
I am interested in getting some footbeds for my new Sidi 5.5 megas.
I found the regular fitting too small but the megas I have could do with taking a bit of volume out.
I already use Sidas Conformable footbeads in my ski boots, walking boots and golf shoes and had in mind replacing the pieces of flat cardboard that mascerade as supplied footbeds in my Sidi's.

Has anyone got any experience of using SIdas Conformable, Superfeet or any other proprietary footbeds in cycling shoes? Any cycling podiatrists out there with an opinion?
Cobbles are all very well but I'd rather be riding towards the South of France

Comments

• andylav
    andylav Posts: 308
    I have a pair of the Sidas cycling footbeds that I use in my cycling shoes (naturally enough) in place of a pair of custom moulded orthotics that I need for every day use that don't fit into my Northwaves because of their greater volume.

The SIDAS footbeds have been a great success but the moulding and fitting process is obviously crucial - I can definitely recommend them, but finding the cycling specific ones can be quite tricky and the price seems to higher as a result.

Ellis Bringham and Snow and Rock at Covent Garden do the ski, trek and running footbeds for £35 - 40 per pair for instance, but the only place that I could find the cycling footbeds was at Cyclefit - also Covent Garden - where the website price is listed at £59.99. Other stockists that are featured on the Sidas.Co.Uk website are charging £90 and upwards though so definitely worth having a look around and it could be that you could use one of the other types of footbeds if you need to take up volume in your Sidis as the main difference between the various footbeds seems to be the depth of forefoot cushioning to my untrained eye (though I understand that the heel and instep constructions are also different to cater for different stresses on the feet from the other disciplines)

Good luck
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've got a couple of pairs of the Sole ones which are heat-mouldable, but to be honest, never felt the need to do so as they are comfortable enough - paying twice the price to have someone heat mould them for you seems excessive unless you have a genuine biomechanical need for orthotics. There's also these for half-price:http://www.fitnessfootwear.com/p-48-superfeet-grey-performance-insoles.aspx
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    You could probably get some custom made on the NHS - it takes a while - but made to measure - and for free !
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    I have a few issues with my feet and consequently have custom footbeds fitted at Cyclefit into my road shoes. Also have Superfeet in my walking boots and approach shoes. However recently purchased a pair of Sidi MTB shoes and did not fancy another 200 mile trip to Covent Garden.... so thought I would try the Specialized BG footbeds trimed to fit. Can say they appear to do the job nearly as well as the custom footbeds, so may be worth a look, plenty of dealers around.
  • I've got foot problems that require custom orthotics for arch support.

Any over-the-counter insole cannot do the job of a real orthotic. Specialized footbeds are the worst for this, they use real terms like "arch support" and "metatarsal button", but then they build it in collapsible foam that is just slightly cushier. Also, their foot cants/wedges are pointless. If you need to correct for varius/valgus, it has to be done at the cleat.