Which Bike Sub £300 - I've narrowed it down to 4!

rjtyrell
rjtyrell Posts: 14
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I am finally replacing my battered old bike. I only do river paths and road bike ie london to Brighton.

I only wanna spend £300 max. I have narrowed it down to:-
Gaint Boulder
GT Avanacle 3
Carrera Vulcan
Saracen Element 3

I have heard good reviews of the Vulcan.

ANy opinions on which will be best?

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Without me having to look at them, which has the best fork? That seems to e big factor in what separates the good and bad budget hardtails. Weight is worth considering as well.

Also, have a look at the 2009 Hardtail sticky at the top of this forum: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=20005
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    nearly £200 off this,
    BeOne Aspire 1.0 Hardtail Bike 2008 - sizes 15,17,21
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25443
    £299
  • Read supersonics sticky in the "buying advice" forum - that guy has the answer to everything.
  • Big Shoes
    Big Shoes Posts: 131
    I have the GT Avalanche 3 and i love it, my mate and Dad bought this bike too after riding mine.
    Also consider the Specialized Hardrock Sport 2009 for £292, great reviews on the new design.
    Full Susser - GT I-Drive XCR 5

Hardtail - GT Aggressor XC 2

Road Bike - GT GTR Series 4
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I have a carerra (Fury) and I rate it - however the setup of the bikes from halfords can be iffy, which is the price you pay for getting a good value bike, you lose out on the service... I'd still advise on the Carerra (unless you are totally averse to any kind of home maintenance)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Out of the 4 you list, the Vulcan is best value and specced.

The others are ok, but the fork on the Vulcan gives it the edge as is damped.
  • the dawes xc 1.8 is a wild card bet, it has great spec, and can be had for half price on ebay, for £250. It has remote lock out and hydraulic dics etc. Worth a look, and although not a household name for mountain bikes, I stumped up my cash for one and love it better than the cape wrath for sure!
  • i was in the same boat as you mate, not willing to spend over 300 notes for commuting to the train station and occassional forest trails/canal paths. Eventually plumbed for the Giant Boulder and I'm really pleased with it - it does the job well and the mech disc brakes are excellent. Forks? They also do their job well!

Best wishes,
    David