double use pedals

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
A mate of mine who is a triathlete has heard of a set of pedals which are flet on one side, ie for use with trainers and clip in the other side ie spd etc. Has anyone heard of or know of anthing like this? :lol:

Comments

• Big Shoes
    Big Shoes Posts: 131
    I use Shimano M424 SPD Pedals , which are both and very good!
    Full Susser - GT I-Drive XCR 5

Hardtail - GT Aggressor XC 2

Road Bike - GT GTR Series 4
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Yes, the ones he's tlaking about are the touring ones, A--- somthing or other. Not great tbh. The M424's are better with the cage around, but they aren't as good as flats or proper spds.

You can do short trips ~3miles on spds with regular shoes, so i don't really see why you'd want the cage.
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    You'll be thinking of the Shimano A530
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    or the M324.

I have m324 on my commuter - spd on side and "bear trap" style cage platform on the other - the cage is really grippy with trainers on.

a530 - has spd one side & an odd looking ribbed platform on the other.

off the two m324 looks best - but couldn't bring myself to put em on the road bike, so have a520's instead which are pretty much no use with trainers but sort of look the part

m324 are £33 from Merlin - blimey were £25 a few months ago
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Go for standard mtb SPD's and use these http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/mtb-cages-3885152/
    You have a clip on one side and the flat on the other.I use these for commuting to work.The benefit of these is that you can take the flat off when you go for a proper ride and still have both sides of the pedal to clip into.
    With the 424's that have the plastic platform around the pedal I've found they can be slippery as the pedal still sits proud of the surround