New helmet rules ?

Tom Butcher
Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
I've noticed that British Cycling registered events now have rules that make wearing a helmet compulsory. Does anyone know how that has come about - is it a general UCI rule or something BC has brought in unilaterally ?

I should add the usual disclaimer that I'm not really interested in a debate as to the benefits of helmet wearing - just whether I want to go on organising BC races if they are going to push helmet wearing into non-competitive events.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

Comments

• zoomcp
    zoomcp Posts: 975
    I think it's to do with the event insurance; the insurer who covers events organised by cyclosport.org has a proviso that participant wear one to be covered by the insurance so it's a condition of entry

as far as I know amateur (and professional now) races have required them for many years; Time trials are down to the local association governing them but many are going down the helmet only route

hope this helps
  • FondoMan
    FondoMan Posts: 85
    It depends on whether the event is part of the UCI calendar. For normal BC registered sportives it is optional, for UCI calendar events it is compulsory.