Tyres for Trail Centres

5Thumbs
5Thumbs Posts: 88
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Been using semi slicks for quite a while for winter on road riding but now the weather is starting to turn I'm looking forward to more off road.

i want an allround tyre for trails and woods etc. I dont do any extreme downhill type stuff.
Light would be a bonus !

Based on other threads I've been looking at the Panracer rampage and Maxis High Rollers. Would these be good?

Also would 2.1 or 2.35 be best? My bike is TREK 4500

thanks

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    How much road riding are you planning to do on those tyres.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • 5Thumbs
    5Thumbs Posts: 88
    Very little on road with these.

I assume they will have too much drag to make on road riding very comfortable?
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Not keen on Rampage's- although the SC one is ok. A lot of folks like Panaracer FireXC pros.... I dont. I run nevegals by Kenda- bit of a big tyre tho so stick to 2.1's and try the Blue groove up front by Kenda. Good all round tyre combo.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I've fairly vocal about my support of the rampage + razer MX combo, not too heavy, but seriously fast rolling and grippy. Not even that unpleasant on the roads.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'd say Highrollers or Nevegals, neither is exactly fast or light but they're both great allrounders, so you'll never have a trip spoiled by muddy trails etc, you can ride anything with these other than deep mud. I do like my nevegals but High Rollers are really just as good- slightly faster, slightly less grippy.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    High Rollers
    Crossmarks
    Nevegals
    Blue Grooves
    Rampages
    Fire XC`s
    Nobby Nics
    Racing Ralphs

All get recommended regularly and none of them are bad tyres. Riders tyre choices are personal, what suits one riding style won`t suit others, hence all the contrasting views.

If i were you I`d pick one of the above and just give them a go.
  • Yukon Lad
    Yukon Lad Posts: 423
    neveals are good and so are high rollers. get the dual tread compund though because the super sticky makes andy smooth fireroad or road riding a bit of a drag

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • For light and fast rolling on woodland paths and trail centre hardpack type riding conditions, you can try some Conti mountain kings. I think they come in a 2.2" width and the folding ones are very light and quick. Not massive amounts of grip in mud though so bear that in mind.

Like everyone else, if you want a tyre that will take almost anything you want to throw at it, the Highrollers are probably best. This month's WMB sums it up - [paraphrased] "no tyre will be perfect for everything so all types are a compromise of sorts, it's just about finding the compromise that works best for you."
    There is a time to surf and a time to wax your board.....

'09 Trek Remedy 8