what size frame?

explosifpete
explosifpete Posts: 1,327
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
Hello i'm sure this has been asked on here many times before but I can't find andthing, sofeel free to redirect me.

But after many year mtb riding I want a road bike but i'm unsure of size, i'm 5'10" with a 33" heel to ball mesurement, I ride a 19.5" cove handjob that fits very well and I have a fixed gear peugeot thats a 55/55 seat and top tube but I find the front to low and it makes my hands hurt after a bit. I'm gonna be buying secondhand so I can't reallytry before I buy.
I'm thinking that i'll be a 54st ang 55tt in new stye frames, about right?
Oh I did try a 2009 bianchi c2c and I needed a 53cm! what to do?

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Sounds about right. I'm about 5'9" and I ride a medium (50cm) Giant with a 55cm top tube and previsouly owned a 54cm Specialized Tricross. Once you know you 'fit' of one particular bike the best thing to do would be to hunt down the geometry for whatever bike you're looking at at see how it compares.
    More problems but still living....
  • duncanw
    duncanw Posts: 24
    Sounds about right to me. I'm 5'11'' and ride a 54cm Focus but I've got short arse legs.

You can always put a different stem on to change the fit.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Do yourself a favour and get yourself measured properly, that way you won't bike a bike that doesn't fit you and regret it. No really.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Do yourself a favour and get yourself measured properly, that way you won't bike a bike that doesn't fit you and regret it. No really.

+1
    People can say "about right" until they're blue in the face but in my personal experience everyone is different, online bike fit suggested 58cm for me (6 ft, skinny, long arms/legs) got a 57 and it feels to big :? Got any mates who have bikes you can try? Also dont forget that different frame geomatry can affect the 'actual' size of certain parts as well, it's a minefield :?