Help...Can't get my pedals off!

ross_mcculloch
ross_mcculloch Posts: 478
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Was out for a 26km run on Sunday which practically crippled my body and my bike. Cleaned off most of the mud on Sunday evening but need to do the rest ASAP. When I went to remove my pedals they seem to be wedged on. Not sure if it's a change in temperature that's done it.

Anyone know a good trick for removing stiff troublesome pedals?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Use a decent pedal spanner, not a cone spanner and turn the spanner to the back of the bike.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    Are you removing them correctly? passenger side pedal is opposite thread?

If so, add more leverage.

Do you have a Pedal Spanner?
  • Don't have a pedal spanner, just a standard spanner. Will it make a huge difference?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Don't have a pedal spanner, just a standard spanner. Will it make a huge difference?

If it's 15mm and the flats on the pedals are wide enough to accomodate the standard spanner then leverage is what you'll be missing. Pro pedal spanners are 50% longer than standard spanners.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    Don't have a pedal spanner, just a standard spanner. Will it make a huge difference?

They're usually designed with a lot of leverage in mind.

Get some one to push down on the pedals with their foot, this should be at the bottom of the stroke. This will then give you a better position to undo the pedals, if it won't come off by applying pressure with the hands then you can also stand on the pedal spanner which will give you enough pressure to undo the pedals. Then without undoing the pedal completely switch to the other side and repeat.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Engage the spanner, hold it near the head and then smack the end with a hammer or a mallet. One quick hit normally unseizes the threads. Grease the threads when reassembling.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I usually stand on the opposite pedal, and heave on the other. Just loosen it - a fraction - then you can do the same for the other side.
  • Yep, definitely second the 'hit with the hammer' trick.
    A short, sharp hit will 'shock' the semi-seized thread. Works every time.

Brad
    2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 70
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Pedal spanner good, normal spanner bad (from personal experience). Hitting spanner with big rock also bad, I now have a 15.5mm spanner and dent in my crank arm. Took the bike to my LBS who took the pedals off in 60 seconds using a good pedal spanner, I'd already wasted 60 minutes trying.

I now own a Park Tools home mechanic pedal spanner which cost a tenner, well worth while.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I always take mine of using an allen key,never had any trouble and just set the allen key close enough to get my thumb around the key and fingers around the crank arm..then squeeze...never fails.Oh and always put a bit of copper slip on the thread before replacing,and don't over tighten 8)
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Got the same problem, but the pedals can only be removed by an allen key (who thought that was a good idea) :twisted:

I've been careful not to round them off, but they won't come off. :(

That said I don't have a park tool style long lever - using a good quality multi too instead as I can't find my allen keys (mum) :x
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Spray loads of WD40 down the thread and leave over night,usually frees off sticky pedal arms.