New & Need some advice on Stans No Tubes

Plodder-Mr P
Plodder-Mr P Posts: 3
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi Folks. Just started to get into this cycling lark and following some time off road with a guide he suggested Stans No Tubes as a good addition to my Rockhopper. It all looks so easy in the demo video!!! Have now been tearing my hair out with it and wondered if anyone had any magic tips?
Plodder-Mr P

Comments

• toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I've managed to get a good few tyres up using the system. What sort of pump are you using?

My biggest tip would be MORE FOAM! Really lather the sides up, when you hammer down on the pump it just needs to hold the air in for a split second to push the sidewalls out into place, the second it hops into place you're fine. The foam should also highlight where the air is coming out.

I've managed to get them to seat both on the side and stood up, I think I found laid down easiest as the foam didn't slide off. Put a bit of pressure on the tyre where the valve is, this should open the tyre into the sidewalls, really hammer the pump. If air comes out of a specific area, readjust that bit, add some more foam to it etc.

My old track pump didn't have a presta valve so I did one set using one of these pumps as well, that took some doing, I'd say about an hour of arsing around per tyre, very tired arms!

246_bd_mainimage_atb%20pump%20main.gif

Persevere, the second one will be easier!
  • Will try again with me bubbles....thanks for the advice. If not it's off to my local shop. and let someone else sort it.

Cheers
    Plodder-Mr P
  • mudslinger
    mudslinger Posts: 237
    I've recently converted to Stans.

Like Toasty says - lots of foam!

With my first attempt I was getting nowhere i.e. the tyre would not inflate with a track pump. So I removed the original rim strip & used some of the supplied rim tape. It then inflated really easily & I did the 2nd one in no time.

I believe it also depends on what tyres you have. I did it with new Bonty Mud X tubeless ready tyres but inflated them with an inner tube to give them some shape.

Good luck!
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth