Don't look back

neilo23
neilo23 Posts: 783
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Having ridden hundreds of kilometres a week for over 20 years I don't regard myself as an inexperienced cyclist. Therefore, I feel a bit daft asking this: How can I look behind me whilst riding without my bike swerving to the side I'm looking? It's nothing too drastic, but I'd like to be able to see what's behind and keep in a straight line. I usually ride sober.

Comments

• fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    A possible alternative is to take one hand off the wheel, relax your shoulder so as to ease the neck muscles, and make it easier to look back.

You can also try to just use the corner of your eyes to see what's behind.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    Practise on rollers. I never used to be able to do it, after practising on rollers it becomes pretty easy.
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    i'm the same i try to look behind me under my arms and quickly have to re adjust as i wobble straight away i suppose this is just straight forward bike handling skills practise makes perfect and all that.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    It comes with practice. I used to swerve all over the place when I got my first road bike. I even did it doing the same thing first time I drove on a motorway!

But yes, taking your hand off the bars and relaxing your shoulder makes it much easier.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    I was once told that gripping the back of your saddle with your free hand as you turn to look over your shoulder(assuming you're looking over you're right shoulder) counteracts the tendency to swerve, never tried it so could be a load of b*llocks.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    fnegroni wrote:
    A possible alternative is to take one hand off the wheel, relax your shoulder so as to ease the neck muscles, and make it easier to look back.

You can also try to just use the corner of your eyes to see what's behind.

Wheel!! :wink:
    Brian B.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    I must say that if i try and grab my wheel whilst looking back it never ends well, must be practice :roll:
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I was once told that gripping the back of your saddle with your free hand as you turn to look over your shoulder(assuming you're looking over you're right shoulder) counteracts the tendency to swerve, never tried it so could be a load of b*llocks.

this does work but you have to be sitting upright. by doing this you are ensuring you have turned your head far enough to see well behind you, not just a quick half-a-glance over your shoulder.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails