shoe advice

scruffyduncan
scruffyduncan Posts: 246
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
I'm doing the end to end this summer on my racing bike. I will have very limited space to carry anything so am looking for a pair of shoes that I can ride in and use at the end of the day. I will probably go for a pair of decent MTB shoes. Does anyone have any advice on a good set of shoes for long miles in the day, but comfy enough to wear in the evening?

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Okay, fashion police look away, but my recommendation for this is the Shimano MT90 boot. It is Gore-Tex lined and is fully waterproof (and guaranteed to be so for life) - this is important on multi-day tours or you may be putting wet shoes on the next day, which is never pleasant. They have a Vibram sole like a walking boot and you can wear them happily off the bike. I use them for touring as I only want to take the one pair of shoes, and they are perfect for this use. They are not too hot, either. Only thing is, in Shimano sizing I needed 47 instead of my usual 45. I think they are perfectly acceptable to wear to the pub / B&B.

shimano-mt90-mtb-shoes.jpg

Prices from £79 to £115 depending where you look.
  • ta for the recomendation, but to be honest I'm going to be doing 100+ miles per day and I think something a little lighter is in order.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Okay, any decent pair of MTB shoes then. I also use Specialized Taho shoes which are fairly casual, very comfy and walkable, fairly light:

taho_mtb.jpg

Or the Specialized Sonoma, equally casual and comfy, but with a smoother sole (still recessed cleat).

sonoma.jpg
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    remember, fit is everything, it is worth trying on several makes to find something that works for you.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    If you're riding 100+ miles a day you may be better riding with a stiffer soled road shoe, and carry a light pair of canvas trainers/shoes
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos