Ullapool Sportive

Leodhasach
Leodhasach Posts: 59
edited September 2009 in Sportives/audaxes/training rides
Is anyone from here doing it this year? I've just entered the Ullapool Mór. I suppose I'd better start training !
Boardman Team Carbon

Cube LTD Race

Knackered old Mountain Bike of indeterminate origin.

Comments

• holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Yep I've entered it, weather last Year was seemingly appalling. Also supposed to be bit of a climb out of Ullapool, but looking forward to it, how hard can it be? :oops: 8) :shock: :o:( :roll: :cry: :evil:
  • Fortunately I'm reasonably close to Ullapool and I'll get a chance to cycle some of the course to get some practice in!
    Boardman Team Carbon

Cube LTD Race

• holmeboy
    Let us know what the roads are like. Cheers me Dears! :D:) 8) :o :roll: :wink:
  • fixiebob
    fixiebob Posts: 222
    I have entered as my first sportive. I have cycled around Scourie and Kylesku pretty hilly but Ive been told the section going across to Lairg is flattish and sheltered in parts.
    Have man flu at moment and am only up to 60 miles so far so need to get finger out.
    Did Beelach na Ba last month cant be hillier than that surely.

P.S Seen it on adventure show last year weather was awful.
  • holmeboy
    Was in top tip shape for this a fortnight ago (flying up hills been able to cycle reasonably hard for long time), then went on holiday for a week with no cycling till last day and felt like a fat bass-turd on the bike, 30 miles and felt glad to get back from it. Now I've gone and pulled something in my leg! Hoping it not too serious so I can back to training. How much fitness can you lose in this time? :(
  • Are We Ready? Don't know if I am! :?
  • holmeboy wrote:
    Are We Ready? Don't know if I am! :?

I know im not did 87 lovely flat Caithness miles Saturday at 15mph don't think I've done enough but sure I'll do it probably suffer after.
    Beer in Ullapool after will be nice though.
  • Nooooooo..... not fit.... not good.

Forecast for a SW 22mph wind too, so the going should be good on the way out but the way back could be painful.
    Boardman Team Carbon

Cube LTD Race

• Some day. That (the beag) is as far as far as I care to cycle in a wind tunnel. I have never stamped downhill on the big ring to squeeze out 10 mph! But great day, friendly people (thanks for your company Gregor), well marshalled and stunning backdrop. Bring on next year. I'm off to drink some wine. In my bath.
  • Some day. That (the beag) is as far as far as I care to cycle in a wind tunnel. I have never stamped downhill on the big ring to squeeze out 10 mph! But great day, friendly people (thanks for your company Gregor), well marshalled and stunning backdrop.

Yeah, totally agree. 65 miles was more than far enough in that wind! Heard a few riders were actually blown off their bikes due to crosswinds on some of the descents!

I'm just about to get stuck into a well deserved pizza and a beer! :D
  • holmeboy wrote:

Yeah I was right was'nt ready. From Lairg to Ledmore junction was fu%*ing HARD! And it was'nt that hilly! There was not too steep a hill of about 2 miles (felt like more) that I felt like giving up on, don't think the wind was that strong either, just consistently in your face. Recovered a bit for the final hills before Ullapool. Don't plan to do it next year unless I become a phenominal bike rider in the mean time. :shock:
  • holmeboy wrote:
    holmeboy wrote:

Yeah I was right was'nt ready. From Lairg to Ledmore junction was fu%*ing HARD! And it was'nt that hilly! There was not too steep a hill of about 2 miles (felt like more) that I felt like giving up on, don't think the wind was that strong either, just consistently in your face. Recovered a bit for the final hills before Ullapool. Don't plan to do it next year unless I become a phenominal bike rider in the mean time. :shock:

I probably wasn't that well prepared didn't do enough long runs, last 18 miles from Ledmore nearly finished me off but cycling(rolling) down the hill into Ullapool after 130 miles was enough to make me do it all again next year.

Thanks to marshals and volunteers great day :D
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    holmeboy wrote:
    holmeboy wrote:

Dont know how much rides over the 100mile mark that you do Holmeboy on a regular basis but I always feel the pain on 100 plus sportives no matter how many times I have done them. I reckon that I am quite experienced at sportives now but can suffer big time on the harder ones. Even with good summer fitness you just go harder cause you feel good and suffer the same at the end. Dont be put off because you suffered as its all part of the experience and most like me on sportives are not phenominal either :wink:
    Brian B.