Are skewer nuts ever made of plastic?

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited March 2009 in The workshop
I bought a pair of Fisher Outdoor skewers to replace the quick release on the Kona as theres (slightly) less chance of a thief having an allen key and it stops people stealing my QR skewers, lol!

So as I undid the "nut" on the FO Skewer, I thought "this looks like plastic?" I had assumed most were metal and at the very least just covered in plastic.

Is it possible I've mistaken an alloy for plastic here? My father seems to think its an alloy but its so light :?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    normally plastic with a steel insert. Alloy ones tend to slip. Plastic no thanks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • downfader
    Yeah all my other ones have been steel. :? This is a blue-grey material. Seems stuck fast so far.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    I've seen a plastic collar on a steel insert
  • downfader
    Just got a reply and they said Annodised Alluminium. They seemed a bit insulted that I thought it looked and weighed like plastic. :lol:
  • nicklouse
    I would keep an eye on them as it is a poor material for a QR nut. bet you will be able to knock your wheel out in a week or two as the Alloy will noy cut into and grip the Steel/alloy Fork/frame.

Ok if the fork/frame has lawyer tabs the wheels may stay on a bit longer for you to notice any movement.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • downfader
    I will keep an eye on it thanks. :)

If anything does arriy (how do you spell it, LOL) I'll post a little review on here and a few other cycling places - even youtube :wink:
  • nicklouse
    have a read http://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html
    Acorn Nuts

General practice is to install the skewer so the handle is on the bicycle's left side. Thus, the right side is secured by the acorn nut that threads onto the opposite end of the skewer.

Good quality skewers have acorn nuts with steel serrations that can bite into the face of the dropout, so the wheel won't slip forward. Good skewers have a serrated steel surface to bear against the outside surface of the frame, but most of the "boutique" skewers have soft aluminum parts in this position, presumably to save weight.

The aluminum "teeth" are too soft to get a good grip on the dropout. Since the chain pulls on the right side of the hub, where the acorn nut commonly resides, this type of skewer is almost always unsatisfactory for use with a frame that has horizontal dropouts. In addition, "boutique" skewers generally have (yuck!) aluminum threads, vs the steel threads of the two-piece acorn nuts. These are much easier to strip.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    downfader wrote:

....If anything does arriy (how do you spell it, LOL).....

Do you mean "go awry" ? From "wry", bent or twisted.

Cheers,
    W.
  • downfader
    downfader wrote:

....If anything does arriy (how do you spell it, LOL).....

Do you mean "go awry" ? From "wry", bent or twisted.

Cheers,
    W.

I dont know what I mean :lol::lol::lol:

So far so good, nothing has slipped. Will give the bike a check over tonight (something got jammed in me back brake when I went to stop this morning so had to pull over and check me brake over, skewers and nuts still where I left them though)