Are Bontrager SSR wheels just poor quality?

jamieh5463
jamieh5463 Posts: 223
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
I have had my Trek 1.7 since May 2008(very end of may), and the i have had two popped spokes one on each wheel, are Bontrager SSR just poor wheels or was it just bad luck? anybody else who has had this problem or knows anything about it please help
cheers Jamie

Comments

• vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Probably - their inner tubes are the worst I've ever used and their bidons are shite so no reason to think their wheels are any good.

But why post your question in Pro Race?
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • jamieh5463
    Doesnt really matter where u post it really
    I think its just their cheaper wheels which are poor quality the expensive ones are quite good apparently, i find the bontrager race lite tyres very good though ive only had one puncture and thats because the tyre needed pumping up.
    btw what are bidons?
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    I was in riding in Thailand some time back and ripped a tire... the only replacement I could get was a shooty Bontrager... The worst quality I have ever experienced. While rider that tire for the rest of the week I had 6 punctures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All snake bites from the rough interior walls... Compare the inside wall of a Bontrager to a Vittoria any day and you will see what I mean... I wouldnt normally touch Trek/bontrager stuff- but i was in a difficult situation... After ripping the tire I shouldve just stayed by the beach
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Jamie 'bidons' is a pretentious way of saying 'bottles'....

jamieh5463 wrote:
    I think its just their cheaper wheels which are poor quality the expensive ones are quite good apparently, i find the bontrager race lite tyres very good though ive only had one puncture and thats because the tyre needed pumping up.
    btw what are bidons?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    jamieh5463 wrote:

Well yeah it does, what's the point in having different sections if people still post irrelevant shyte in the Pro Racing section.....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    SSR wheels are not the greatest, but then they are fitted to the lower end bikes. Mine didn't have any issue, in fact I still use my rear as my turbo wheel, after the rim got to the minimum rim thickness.

I have some Bontrager Race wheels now, they are probably not the best for the money, but they are not that bad. I never had any issues with the Race tyres either, only 3 punctures in nearly 3000 miles, so luck of the draw there.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I had some, they were hopeless...

...now back to pro racing :wink:
  • jamieh5463
    Sbezza do you ride for VCDeal by any chance, cos i do :)
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    No I am a member of San Fairy Ann
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I'm not the best person to ask cos I have always disliked Bontrager stuff, wheels in particular which imo are thin, weak and prone to faliure - all of em'!