bike rack for Disco 1

davidmiller
davidmiller Posts: 320
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi peeps,

can anybody recommend a good bikerack for a Disco 1. On the plus side I have tow bar but I also have a a spare wheel hanging off the boot door that gets right in the way!!

I need one big enough for at least 3 bikes.

Cheers,

David

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Pendle produce a range of racks for Landrovers, and one specifically for the disco.

http://legacy2.pendle-bike.co.uk/nullde ... ver%20Rack

I'd go for the Landrover rack over the Disco rack though, just to get the pedals that bit further from your rear glass.

One thing to mention though is that they might not be compatible with towbar mounted rear steps.

There are also wheelmounted racks which take two bikes, but I wouldn't bother with them unless you have a swing-away wheel carrier. Your door hinges are fairly poor on a disco. They have a hard time holding a spare on, let alone a rack full of bikes too.
  • davidmiller
    davidmiller Posts: 320
    Thanks, that's really useful. Being a complete beginner to this game there does n't seem to be much to secure the bikes with - do i need to buy some straps as well or something else???

Cheers,

David
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    You will need some bungy cords, rope and old socks to tie the bikes to the rack.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • robd75
    robd75 Posts: 147
    I have a disco and use a simbars rack, they are about £90 new but often see them on ebay for about half the price and they take 4 bikes
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    You'd hang four bikes off your spare Robd75? You've obviously got more faith in Solihull's finest export than me!

David/whytespeak, all pendle racks come with strap kits to fully secure the bike. Pendle make the best, best thought out bike racks bar none. If you're hanging four or five grand's worth of bike off it, you'd better be damn sure it's a good one.