Tyre sizes - explain

teulk
teulk Posts: 557
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
I know this has probably been covered a million times so i appologise. Now i understand the 700 and 26" part but what is the 23, 25,35 or indeed 1.95, 2.0, 2.1 refer too ? Is it the depth of the tyre ie from tread to rim or the width of the tyre ? Would i be correct in thinking i could put anything from 1.0 (if they go that low) right up to a 3.0 on a 26" wheel ?
Boardman Team 09 HT
Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
Specialized Secteur Elite 2011

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    The second number (eg 26x2.1) refers to the width of the tyre. One slight weirdness with tyres however is that a 26"x1.5" tyre for example is NOT the same as a 26"x1 1/2" tyre. Decimal tyre sizes are not the same as fractional ones. :?

You can put a huge variety of widths on a standard MTB rim but there will be limits depending on your rims and of course frame clearance.

All you could ever want to know: http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    It should also be noted that tyre sizes are nominal - when one manufacturer claims that their tyre is 2,1" section, a) it may not be; b) it may not be the same as another tyre in their range which is also listed as 2,1"; and c) it almost certainly won't be the same as a 2,1" tyre from another manufacturer.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    dave_hill wrote:
    It should also be noted that tyre sizes are nominal - when one manufacturer claims that their tyre is 2,1" section, a) it may not be; b) it may not be the same as another tyre in their range which is also listed as 2,1"; and c) it almost certainly won't be the same as a 2,1" tyre from another manufacturer.

Well thats pretty crazy :shock:
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    :) Only the same as shoes.... a 10 from one company may fit, but a 10.5 from a different one may well fit just as good...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    teulk wrote:
    Well thats pretty crazy :shock:

Welcome to mountain biking :lol: An industry where "standard" means "bewilderingly complicated variety". There's not that many tyre manufacturers, we could have a whipround and buy them all a ruler each.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends how they are measured - across the carcass? Across the tread? An average? On what sized rim? Some quote a range too.
  • ratty2k wrote:
    :) Only the same as shoes.... a 10 from one company may fit, but a 10.5 from a different one may well fit just as good...

No chance I only take an eight :?
    Be happy, communicate happiness.