Michelin Krylion or Pro Race 2?

Rhods
Rhods Posts: 400
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
I see Ribble are selling both and there's not much difference between the prices.

Could anyone please tell me which would be better as a general trainer/commuter and hopefully some sportives later in the year?

Thanks

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Krylions are better as a general training tyre, but still fast enough to race on IME. ProRace is probably too light for general use
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    krylions- but youll be lucky to get any anywhere! :(
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • cyclingpunk
    cyclingpunk Posts: 368
    Looks like they have no stock of the Krylions. My local has them in but they are the same price and Pro 3's. For general training it is worth looking at Rubino Pros. I have the rigid ones on my commuter and Pro folding ones on mt trainer and think they are great value. I run pro 3 race on my best bike and they have also been good so far.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Krylions are better as a general training tyre, but still fast enough to race on IME. ProRace is probably too light for general use

Over the last 12 months, through summer and winter, I did over 2500miles on my Pro Race 2s and they've still got potentially over 1000 more life, I've taken them off now because they seem to have a slight cut on one of the sidewalls, so I decided to be safe, although the cut didn't go all the way through...
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I use both and disagree about ProRace 2s being too light for everyday use. They're fine tyres and I know riders who do indeed use the PR2s all year round. If you are going to go for the Krylions get hold of the 25s not the 23s. Feel better imo.
  • infopete
    infopete Posts: 878
    Last year I (and Mrs P) toured on Pro Race 2''s on the front and Krylions on the back mainly because Krylions are like rocking horse droppings.

I've just bought 4 Pro Race 2's 25mm from Wiggle for 53 quid and I intend to use them for commuting and touring over the alpes in June.

Mrs P rides on pro race 3's all year and will tour on these too.

I think any of them are great tyres but we've noticed Mrs P rolls much better on her Pro 3's than when she had Krylions

I do about 8,000 miles a year, mainly on country lanes, and the Michelin tyres don't last as long as gator skins but I know which I prefer to ride.

Pete
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)