Mudguards off yet....?

carl_p
carl_p Posts: 989
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Well it seems spring is in the air, the sap is rising and and all that....

Anyway for those of us using mudguards, does anyone have a specific date when they come off? Is there a roadie tradition I'm not aware of?

Would be great to see the bike in all its glory again.
Specialized Venge S Works
Cannondale Synapse
Enigma Etape
Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Take mudguards off? Why'd you do that? Just use the bike that doesn't have mudguards.......
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    reddragon said
    Just use the bike that doesn't have mudguards
    +1 to that reddragon - but its great to be using the best bike again at last
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    Even if I only had one bike, the mudguards would never come off because it's likely to rain at any time and they're an absolute pain to refit. Leave them on.
  • carl_p
    Much as I'd like a summertime special bike, I don't think Mrs Carl_P will sign off that off so I can have a bike with no mudguards, but that is the longer term plan :wink:

Agree they are a bugger to refit, so when they're off, they're off until autumn.
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape

• woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    mudguards stay on the wet weather bike, but went out today on the dry winter bike that doesn't have mudguards, not quire ready for the good bike yet.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Take mudguards off? Why'd you do that? Just use the bike that doesn't have mudguards.......

Not everyone is in the fortunate position of having more than one bike.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Mudguards off and bike polished, adjusted brakes, chain and bars, seat. Spent a couple of hours working on it on Sunday.

Its like having a new bike.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Mine are staying on. It's going to be pissing it down tomorrow.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Never got round to fitting mine that I bought a couple of months ago so don't have that dilema and as keef66 says have you seen the weather for the next few days - looks pretty awful.

I did enjoy taking the full carbon bike out, as I have hardly had much of a chance to ride it since I bought it at the end of October (well technically I don't own it as it is a Cycle to Work bike but hey its mine and let anyone try and take it off me :lol: ). Its nice to mix the bikes up for the rides. Makes them more interesting.

Might fit the mudguards for next year but they look like a real pain so I might go for the compromise option and get some of those easy fit guards even though they aren't as good but hey they are better than none I'm guessing.
  • My mudguards came off 7 years ago. pointless fecking things.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Blinkin' eck, I remember turning up for a chaingang one wet winter night with no 'guards and got a right slaggin' off. :oops:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • justresting
    justresting Posts: 292
    My mudguards came off 7 years ago. pointless fecking things.

why are they pointless ? isn't there a clue in their name as to the point ?
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    Mine stay on my training bike all year round.
  • carl_p
    Think I've ear-marked Easter now. Guards off, new tyres on (when I get them) a good clean and degrease...

As I recall it snowed last Easter.
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape

• fuelex
    fuelex Posts: 165
    Race blades been off for a week,

Promptly back on this evening after checking the forecast for tomorrow!
  • isn't there a clue in their name as to the point ?
    not that I can see.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I have taken mine off for now, only a 5 min job to put them back on it if is going to be wet.
  • justresting
    justresting Posts: 292
    isn't there a clue in their name as to the point ?
    not that I can see.

try mixing these two words up GUARD and MUD. I don't have any on my favourite bike which I tend to use mainly in fair weather because it looks so much better, but if I had just the one bike I'm afraid I would have to, as Im too sensitive to the feelings of anyone following me. there again thinking about it there isn't usually anyone following me, so you may have a point !
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '