directional tyres

Rich9
Rich9 Posts: 1,635
edited March 2009 in MTB general
Currently using Panaracer XC pro, and while sorting my brakes out today, i've realised that I might have my rear tyre on the wrong way round.

The tyres haev directional arrows, say front and rear. I originally put them on with both 'front' arrows pointing forwards or towards the front of the bike. I've now thought that this could also mean that the tyre is on one way for the fornt and tuther way for the rear.

Which is correct?? And will it makle that much difference if I swap it round?
2014 Whyte T-129S

Comments

• strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    The arrow points to the way the tyre should roll going forward, so if the arrow is at the bottom of the wheel but facing the front of the bike its on the wrong way round, top of the wheel facing the front of the bike its the right way round!
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • Rich9
    On that basis, its on the right way round then.
    ta
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • andituk
    andituk Posts: 122
    The Panaracers are fitted in different directions front and rear. They have two arrows on, one showing the direction for use on the rear wheel, and one for the front.
  • Soggz
    Soggz Posts: 221
    I still personally think that the best tyres were the front and rear WTB Velocoraptors.I have a directional front one but i need a rear...where can i get one and sorry to jump on this thread about it.
  • strodey wrote:
    The arrow points to the way the tyre should roll going forward, so if the arrow is at the bottom of the wheel but facing the front of the bike its on the wrong way round, top of the wheel facing the front of the bike its the right way round!

I have always wondered about this, is that correct? You check the direction of the tyre with the arrows at the bottom rather than the top? My tyres may be back to front!!
    2009 Giant Anthem X2
    2009 On One Il Pompino in SS CX mode!
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Bloody pain in the @rse those tyres :roll:

You'll go through it all and ALWAYS have them on the wrong way round by the end of it. Nightmare.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I have always wondered about this, is that correct? You check the direction of the tyre with the arrows at the bottom rather than the top? My tyres may be back to front!!

It makes no difference, the tyres turn in the same direction! Arrow points in direction of rotation, not direction of travel. When the arrow's at the top it's the same thing though.

Some tyres work well reversed, in some conditions- I accidentally fitted my rear nevegal the wrong way round after a puncture one time, didn't notice, and suddenly discovered I had miles more push on loose surfaces, but less grip on stones and roots, and more rolling resistance.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Thanks for that Northwind, I am ok, just had a bit of a blonde moment!! I actually went into the spare room, and even took the wheels off my bike to check!! It is the direction of rotation which remains the same, rather than the direction of travel which changes.
    2009 Giant Anthem X2
    2009 On One Il Pompino in SS CX mode!
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    gets very complicated when you put your bike upside down to take the tyres off and leave it upside down!
    the best way i find is to look on your brake rotors, match the tyre arrow direction to the arrow direction on the barke rotors (if they have them)
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Soggz wrote:
    I still personally think that the best tyres were the front and rear WTB Velocoraptors.I have a directional front one but i need a rear...where can i get one and sorry to jump on this thread about it.

I'm with you, great tyre.

They've just come back into stock at CRC after a long time http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=33308 £19.99 delivered is pretty good for that kind of spec too cos thats the light, folding DNA race ones.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Northwind wrote:

It makes no difference, the tyres turn in the same direction! Arrow points in direction of rotation, not direction of travel. When the arrow's at the top it's the same thing though.

Some tyres work well reversed, in some conditions- I accidentally fitted my rear nevegal the wrong way round after a puncture one time, didn't notice, and suddenly discovered I had miles more push on loose surfaces, but less grip on stones and roots, and more rolling resistance.

likewise....lots of folks put a rear high roller on the wrong way round as it can give better climbing traction.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Soggz
    mfin wrote:
    Soggz wrote:

I'm with you, great tyre.

They've just come back into stock at CRC after a long time http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=33308 £19.99 delivered is pretty good for that kind of spec too cos thats the light, folding DNA race ones.

Thanx, just looked and im gonna buy a pair in a couple of weeks! Thanx.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Direction of rotation me thinks.

I seem to remember that the back tyre does go the opposite way to the front though with those particular tyres.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    with panaracer tyres and the two opposing arrows, fit them in opposite directions. That's what works best with trailrakers at least.
  • Rich9
    So, i have got the back one on the wrong way round then. I'll change it and see if it makes a difference
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    If it does make a difference it should be slightly more grip on tricky climbs. Otherwise you may not see much difference.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Soggz
    strodey wrote:
    gets very complicated when you put your bike upside down to take the tyres off and leave it upside down!
    the best way i find is to look on your brake rotors, match the tyre arrow direction to the arrow direction on the barke rotors (if they have them)
    Fu*K Me!...How can it be complicated unless your a complete div?...lol... :roll: i hope what you do for a living isnt as complicated as that... :wink: