Skyline? Advice needed (badly)

strodey
strodey Posts: 481
edited March 2009 in MTB rides
Been thinking of doing the skyline, only ever done cwm carn before though fit enough i'd allow some time, is it going to hurt on a xc 100ml hardtail race machine?
Also any tips on tyre choice and what to watch for would be much appreciated!
Cheers.
Carbon is a mans best freind

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I think plenty of people do Afan on a hardtail and whilst I've not ridden the Skyline trail personally I believe a lot of it is long distance fire road. If the bike coped with Cwmcarn I think it'll cope with the skyline, it's more endurance than technical.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • did it on a carbon hardtail last summer, not a problem i am fairly fit 2 or 3, 20 to 30 miles off road rides a week, but for the first time ever both my forearms ached a lot the next day that was about it, go for it
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    I've done bits of it. However It's one of the trails I haven't fully ridden so also keen for advice before I go up Saturday week.

I generally ride with Panaracer XC Pro (the cheaper version) which is bit overkill but they are very durable.
    Paul
  • Yeah you can do skyline on a hardtail - I've ridden with several people who've done it on a hardtail. One of whom was riding my 100mm travel XC hardtail. So yeah, its fine.
  • physiosteve
    physiosteve Posts: 194
    skyline is fine with Hardtail and 100mm suspension.

Though a lightweight alu XC rig will ping u about a bit on the decent compared to a built up one like a Cove stiffee, Kona Hoss or a steel stead etc
    Couple of 5 spots, a hummer and a handjob.....
  • Dusty Dan
    Dusty Dan Posts: 28
    yep, done it and loved it...

Only thing to remember is don't be fooled by the temperature when you are in the car park below, It can get really really really cold when you are up on the skyline and also the weather can change like a switch! Be sure to take an extra layer, some good gloves and be preppared for the wind.

Ah, PS, hope you like going up-hill cos the climb up there is slog and a half...

Have fun though.
    Hi all, new to the forum, I live in Stockton (Warwickshire) and even though I have a few riding buddies I am always looking for other people to go out riding with or even talking " nuts & bolts" guys or girls!!!...
  • matt581
    matt581 Posts: 219
    Its more stamina then any thing else on the Skyline. You should be fine on the decents. As said above be wary of the weather, me and a mate did it a month ago and my camel back tube froze! :? As long as your prepaired and give your self plenty of time, food and a spare layer of clothing you will have a blast. I was dead the day after I rode but glad Im I have done it. :)
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Tyres are easy.... a good 2.0-2.2 XC tyre is all you need. Something like a Kenda Nevegal, Conti Speedking or Hutchison El Toro. As others have said a decent windstopper is essential as it gets very breezy up the top (the top of the climb isn't called Windy Point for nothing). Plenty of food and drink is essential, and energy gels are an easy way to force feed yourself on the way round if you find it hard to eat as you ride. Other than that, just enjoy it you lucky sod!