Spokes: Various types
Hub: Shimano
Tube: Not so sure :)
Tire: Maxxis Larsen TT

Weight: ~29lb

Other info: Old :D

img0226u.th.jpg

big image: http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3834/img0226u.jpg
Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That Dawes won some award for best budget full susser back then. Was great value.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Really - got it before I started reading mbuk and others, so had really no idea of it's street cred or general opinions, other than my own, which can be misleading. So good news, bought in a sale in 05' as well. :D
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Whytepeak
    Have started riding the dawes again, but since december i've grown, and the 'cockpit' is rather compact - great for a 40min ride in the local woods, but not so for long xc rides.
    I was thinking of fitting a longer stem, but I like the handling as it is.
    However, I could fit wider bars, the tiogas are only 640mm wide.
    Would a layback thompson post be worth it, as my knees and the stem have started to battle.
    Any advice accepted - nothing too expensive. Thanks.
  • Whytepeak
    Just upgraded whyte with Gusset slim jim pedals, although got them through LBS, so they are the Raleigh version - look 8) in white.
  • I really like Whyte bikes..nice!

Wonder why so many of us take the pictures in the kitchen?
  • Turveyd38
    Turveyd38 Posts: 704
    Dawes FS Team was my first real MTB, bought it 6years and 4months ago brand new, well un ridden for £325 knocked down from £650 with Duke C forks and a Shock Works rear shock, upgraded to a Disk on the front and rear and damn nice bike to be fair.

Only ran it for 9months, traded it in on a GT Ruckus 2.0 for £275 and kept a fair few of my better bits, the Fox Vannila Fork on the Ruckus was much better but that was about it.
  • Whytepeak
    The dawes is a good bike- quite small now so has been turned into a mud and wood thrasher - just waiting for something to break - hopefully not the frame :)
  • Whytepeak
    img0297.jpg[/img]

put some slim jim pedals on it now - bike has just been out on the local trails for 5 hours - I love balmy days :D
  • jamesst
    jamesst Posts: 322
    i like!!!!!!!!!! but i dont like mud guards imsorry :cry:
  • Whytepeak
    Meh - might take them off if it stays dry, but at the moment, and during the rainy season, they're there to stay.
  • Whytepeak
    New tyres for summer, Bontrager XR1 team issues front and back , white lizard skins (odi) grips, a chainstay protector and a white cateye wireless strada for the summer season.... :D

img0300.jpg

img0299jse.jpg
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    Looking good whytepeak :D

What does it ride like?
  • Whytepeak
    Fast Fast Fast :lol: Got an average speed of 12.5 mph so far ( got to keep it up! ) New tyres have made the world of difference, a little more care is required over the rougher parts for obvious reasons :) .
  • jamesst
    jamesst Posts: 322
    heu whytepeak looking WHITE!!!! i like
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    like that, very nice bike :)
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    Any recent work or upgades?
  • Whytepeak
    No upgrades in the near future I don't think, things are too expensive, and I am far too poor at the moment :(

As expected the sunny weather has been in vain as the trails are back to their muddy state, normality is resumed. To combat this I've put some old maxxis tyres on - nowt worth pictures though... :roll:
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    am lovign the whyte bike i almost got my self one before i got the susser.
  • Whytepeak
    XxxBFGxxX wrote:
    am lovign the whyte bike i almost got my self one before i got the susser.

Your Marin is real nice, great now that you've put those Pikes on.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    how did you find the xr1 tyres for riding?

i was very tempted to get some the other day as they would certainly look great on the spark 8)

do you think they would be a good investment?

i would say my riding is 50/50 on road/off road would be good to hear from someone who's used them, thank's.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Whytepeak
    They are very fast rolling, on and off the road. Very grippy on dry trails - brilliant for trail centres, although once it gets wet, they are pretty sketchy.

They are also quite tough :shock: . No punctures yet (touch wood), even after flying through some rock gardens in the lakes. They have even survived a jump session on the Blender.

The only problem I have is that they are quite hard to get seated evenly on the rim :? But it is a small niggle really.

All in I'm very impressed, and would buy them again when they wear out. Although they show no signs of wear yet after 5 months of riding.
  • andy46
    Whytepeak wrote:
    They are very fast rolling, on and off the road. Very grippy on dry trails - brilliant for trail centres, although once it gets wet, they are pretty sketchy.

They are also quite tough :shock: . No punctures yet (touch wood), even after flying through some rock gardens in the lakes. They have even survived a jump session on the Blender.

The only problem I have is that they are quite hard to get seated evenly on the rim :? But it is a small niggle really.

All in I'm very impressed, and would buy them again when they wear out. Although they show no signs of wear yet after 5 months of riding.

wow!! they sound great :shock: i was expecting them to be a little fragile, i think i'll get some come pay day :D

thank's for the quick reply, BTW nice bike!!! 8)
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Whytepeak
    Thanks andy46 :lol:
  • andy46
    Whytepeak wrote:
    Thanks andy46 :lol:

just one more thing before i go and shell out £60, what size did you go for 26x2 or 26x2.2.

i ask because i currently have continental mountain kings 26x2.2 but i keep reading that these don't mesure the same as other tyres, are the XR1's "big" for their size if you know what i mean?

this is doing my head in :?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Whytepeak
    I have the 2.0, didn't know there was a bigger size :roll:

They are quite small, both in height off the rim, and in width. Though I'm comparing them to maxxis 2.1s.

They are small though, if you're an agressive rider, or like low pressures, it may be worth getting a 2.2 version.
  • andy46
    Whytepeak wrote:
    I have the 2.0, didn't know there was a bigger size :roll:

They are quite small, both in height off the rim, and in width. Though I'm comparing them to maxxis 2.1s.

They are small though, if you're an agressive rider, or like low pressures, it may be worth getting a 2.2 version.

well like i said i have 2.2 mountain kings and i'd say at a guess i have between 10-15mm clearance.

plus on my hardtail i have spesh fast trac's 26x2, yet these are quite a bit wider than the mountain king :roll:

i think i might play it safe and go with the 26x2 as i'm not too aggresive and don't do anything too extreme, i just like going fast :lol:

thanks for your help :)
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Whytepeak
    No problemo, hope you get on with them as well as I have :D
  • Hi Whytepeak,

What size frame is your 905 and how tall are you / inside leg?

Thanks.