Cwmcarn virgin

handful
handful Posts: 920
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on my first 'proper' trail since buying my first mtb back in September. I went to Cwmcarn with my boss, (who is an experienced mtb'er) I have to confess I knew I wasn't really fit enough and suspected my skill levels would be tested to the extreme but bl00dy hell :shock: , I seriously underestimated the place.

I got round, having to push quite a bit on the technical climbs but I went from thinking I was going to die of a heart attack on the climb to thinking I was going to die of a broken neck on the way down!!! I will definitely do a lot more preparation before I go again. Things were made worse by me forgetting my spd shoes so I had to go down to the LBS who sold me an old pair of flats and a second hand pair of 661's for £22!! If the owner of the LBS is reading this, thanks a million, you saved my life, my boss wouldn't have been best pleased if we'd had to go without a ride!

I managed to avoid a fall, just but my shins are black and blue. I will have to get some tips to help next time, I always seemed to be struggling to keep momentum going, always in the wrong gear with all the ups and downs of the course and on the technical climbs I seemed to be either wheelying or spinning the rear wheel. :oops:

Still, at least I've done it now and know what my shortcomings are...and there were plenty of those so I know what to practice!!
Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
Orbea Rise

Comments

• i rode it for the first time last weekend. i thought the climb would be better if it was a little less technical. i found it to be just annoying in places because you couldn't get any rhythm going.

i loved the singletrack at the top though and the downhill was great too. i have a bit of experience with technical descents and singletrack so was fine with that.

i could be wrong, but i thought some parts of the climb would be very difficult to clear for all but the very best riders.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    The climb is very technical in places. If you're going again consdier investing in knee pads at the least.

It is a good route though.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Yukon Lad
    Yukon Lad Posts: 423
    i am planning a trip to cwmcarn sometime soon and by the sounds of it its gonns be good but i'm going to need my kneepads
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    Cwmcarn can be a baptism of fire. The group of lads I ride with is up there most weekends and there are always people puking and bleeding, but also smiling.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I find the climb a real benchmark of my fitness, when I was cycle commuting a couple of years ago I could get up almost without having to stop (almost... there's always a slippy root, get the wrong line and hit an unclimbable rock...)

Last time I went I took a Cwmcarn virgin with me, he was strong and faster than me on the early ascents but when it got technical I was pacing myself better or choosing the better lines or whatever and I ended up waiting for him. It is bloody knackering when your fitness has dropped off though! I wouldn't want it any easier.

Get fit. Learn the best lines. I'll be a doddle. :P
  • konanige
    konanige Posts: 115
    Ive only been riding for three years now but ive been to cwmcarn loads of times now, I find its a good measure of your skill/fitness levels as you can try and get further up the trail than the last time you puked or fell off, and then you get rewarded with some superb descents.The good thing is that however high your skill level gets it still tests your sphincter as you just end up doing it faster and faster, and I would challenge even the best riders not to want to scream like a girl when testing your nerve on the last run down to the car park!