Beware the Altura windproof jersey

andyealing
andyealing Posts: 34
edited February 2009 in Commuting chat
I recently bought an Altura Night Vision windproof jersey in the Evans sale but it's been a real disappointment. It was discounted from about £60 to about £30, which I suppose should have set the alarm bells ringing.

On week one, the rear panel started to badly pill where my rucksack had been. On week two, the cuff split from the seam and now on week three the "A" of the reflective "Altura" branding on one arm has peeled away.

It's the fleece-lined Night Vision jersey with windproof front panels that I'm referrinig to.

If anyone wants a "ltura"-branded jacket in size small then do let me know. Otherwise steer well clear. :cry:

Comments

• Send it back. I've had no problems with mine but don't use a rucksack with it.
    Andy
  • Yeah, wot he said!

Just because it's reduced, doesn't mean it's outside the various Sale Of Goods acts ---- unless it was marked as 'Reduced because it waill fall apart after one month'! :D
    AT MY AGE, I SHOULD KNOW BETTER !!!
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    AndyEaling wrote:
    I recently bought an Altura Night Vision windproof jersey in the Evans sale but it's been a real disappointment. It was discounted from about £60 to about £30, which I suppose should have set the alarm bells ringing.

On week one, the rear panel started to badly pill where my rucksack had been. On week two, the cuff split from the seam and now on week three the "A" of the reflective "Altura" branding on one arm has peeled away.

It's the fleece-lined Night Vision jersey with windproof front panels that I'm referrinig to.

If anyone wants a "ltura"-branded jacket in size small then do let me know. Otherwise steer well clear. :cry:

It would have been discounted to shift old stock to make way for new, not because it was poor quality. Count yourself lucky, half the time I g to buy something, being a fairly standard "Large" I can't get it because they've sold out of it, yet they've always had a stock of small (frequently reduced)
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    edited February 2009
    Yes, when I have bought something that is not up to scratch, I at least *try* to take it back...

Faults *do* occur, but decent companies deal with customer complaints well, i.e. beyond their legal requirements, but begining to fall to pieces within a week is obviously not fit for puropose.

If you have no joy with evans, try altura. (I have never used them, but colleagues have and seem to find their quality fine).
  • I sent Evans an email yesterday so I'll see what they say. I'm sure they'll take it back. Just disappointed really. The night vision bit is excellent. It lights you up like a Christmas tree when car headlights reflect off it.

I've always rated Altura's stuff. Just this particular top doesn't seem to be up to the rigours of the daily commute.
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    i've had mixed results with altura gear. i had a very well used high viz (probably night visoin range) waterproof that lasted 18months before the inner waterproof lining let go as a crumbly dust all over my clothes. followed by the rain.

i have a night vision shell (windproof, fleecey lined) that has been great, and i've had that over 2 years.

i have some waterproof trousers that quickly lost an A, but it seemd only cosmetic so i let it go. a year later one of the knee seams has started leaking.

my current view of them is that they are fine for windproof and warm but rubbish at waterproof!
  • If you have no joy with evans, try altura. (I have never used them, but colleagues have and seem to find their quality fine).

No. Your contract is with Evans - Altura probably won't speak to you.

There should be no problem with Evans - they will have a credit account with Altura or their distributors; all they'll do is just deduct the cost of your top from the money they send them every month or so.
    AT MY AGE, I SHOULD KNOW BETTER !!!