Shimano vs SRAM

wings988
wings988 Posts: 106
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Being new to the MTB scene it seems odd to me that there are only 2 brands that are worth having for gear mechs, Shimano or SRAM. I havent seen any bikes with other makes so it appears that the market is monopolised by these 2 brands. What I can't get my head around is the fact that most bikes seem to have Shimano but those that do have SRAM still have a Shimano Front mech. Looking on the SRAM website they don't list a front mech so I assume they don't make one? Why is this? Surely there must be more than one company in the world that can make front ders. or do Shimano hold a patent?

:?:

Comments

• Sram do make a front mech, but generally the shimano ones work better. SRAM also don't have a complete matched range. Avid/SRAM/Rockshox (I think that's the lot!!!!) also do hammerschmidt which is a front gear setup.

There is also rolhoff who do internal hub gears, but are very expensive. And a few other brands who make very niche high end stuff.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    There's nothing wrong with Sram front mechs (they do make them), a decent front mech is much of a muchness really, some chainrings might contribute to smoother shifting than others. As for the rears Shimano are probably better priced than Sram but people seem to like one or the other mostly down to the 'feel' of the change, if you've ridden both a lot you tend to get your own opinion.

Also, front mechs are cross compatible with shifters but rear mechs aren't, so if you have Shimano rear mech you must have Shimano shifters and similarly with Sram, but you can use any make of front mech with whatever shifters you have.
  • Exactly as mfin says...

I run Shimano on my HT, SRAM on my FS trail and DH bikes. I personally prefer the 'feel' of SRAM by a country mile - you really need to ride both types to properly appreciate the difference.

In saying that it doesn't bother me enough to change the HT to SRAM gearing so it really doesn't matter that much. Mind you, in my opinion, if its got two wheels that both turn (and ideally stop) when you want them to, then its all good!

I have recently noticed that the pricing of SRAM spares is a joke:

SRAM X9 rear derailleur jockey wheels £19
    Shimano rear derailleur jockey wheels £3

That price difference is ridiculous and when you've got 3 bikes that all start breaking at the same time these price differences really matter.

The jockey wheels of my '06 SRAM X9 rear derailleur are completely siezed to buggery. I'm gonna take it all apart & hopefully some generous greasing will bring it back to life. In contrast I'm still running the original jockey wheels on a '00 shimano LX derailleur. That's a BIG difference in reliability. But SRAM X9 feels soo good........
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I have recently noticed that the pricing of SRAM spares is a joke:

SRAM X9 rear derailleur jockey wheels £19
    Shimano rear derailleur jockey wheels £3

That price difference is ridiculous and when you've got 3 bikes that all start breaking at the same time these price differences really matter.
    The £3 Shimano jockey wheels are the very basic ones, not comparable to the X9 ones, you have to pay £22 for XT equivalent ones, which are comparable to the X9
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • If you're looking into purchasing a new group for your MTB SRAM is coming out with its new XX full MTB group soon. Just something to think about...
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    pmac1893 wrote:
    If you're looking into purchasing a new group for your MTB SRAM is coming out with its new XX full MTB group soon. Just something to think about...

better start saving 10 years ago then. :wink:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    I just generally prefer Sram.

But from mine and other peoples opinions:

Shimano Front Derailleur > Sram Front Derailleur

Sram Chain > Shimano Chain

But obviously depends on models.

Can't go wrong, each to their own.
  • Antwon
    Antwon Posts: 29
    I'll never buy another Shimano chain, but I can't fault their cassettes and shifters. I only run SRAM on the mechs and chain though.
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    Antwon wrote:
    I'll never buy another Shimano chain, but I can't fault their cassettes and shifters. I only run SRAM on the mechs and chain though.

I thought sram mechs and shimano shifters were not compatible?
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    canada16 wrote:
    Antwon wrote:

The front mech doesn't matter. Either or.

But the shifters/rear mech do.

i.e., you can't run shimano shifters with a SRAM rear mech, they have different ratios, 1:1, 2:1
  • Antwon
    Antwon Posts: 29
    I was mistaken, My rear mech is Shimano XT and is great also. I had a SRAM X7 before that which was just as good.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    canada16 wrote:

for the most part they are not compatible but you can run certain types of sram shifters with shimano derailleurs.

rocket and attack shifters by sram are designed to work with shimano mechs but i dont think shimano do any shifters which will operate a sram rear mech.