Pinnacle Source 1.0

matt2085
matt2085 Posts: 25
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
This bike looks good to me, but I honestly have no clue, anyone have any first hand experiance of it or any opinions on it's stats as an entry level bike?

Thanks, Matt

Comments

• Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Depends what you want it for. For bridleways and very light trails its fine but for anything more adventurous you need to be looking into the £300-£400 price range.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Carrera Vulcan
    Decathlon RockRider 5.2
    Giant Boulder

are the usual point a stick at and wave it at that price point.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I have had the Pinnacle source 1.0 for 2 months now and I am slowly realising that it is a false economy. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the frame and the way it feels to ride, but some of the components just aren't up to it.

I had planed to go rigid with the bike before I bought it, but I tried the stock fork that came with it and found that it topped out several times as I rode it home (speed bumps and curbs) and this was only the beginning of the stress, which is mostly due to my being 16 and a half stone i'm guessing.

The second issue was yesterday when the freewheel hub axel snapped! This could have been worse but I happened to have an old wheel laying around, still very inconvenient though. I am now in the market for a cheap freehub wheel which with a cassette is liable to cost at least £55.

Though after all this I started looking at other bikes under £250-ish and have noticed that they all seem to have the same components that have caused me all the hassle (cheap forks and freewheel hub wheels) which just aren't suited to people as heavy as myself.