Classical Music

2»

Comments

• DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    pneumatic wrote:
    You could do worse than pick up a copy of The Best of Humphrey Littleton.

"...and to prove the point, piano accompaniment will be provided by Colin Sell" :wink:

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    I'd tend to put symphonies down as the least accessible for someone used to a song structure of music. So for me, I've found that pieces with strong melody and shortish components suit me better

ballet music - Swan Lake etc
    instrumental solo - Chopin's Preludes, some excellent classical guitar stuff I have in the car at the moment, Mendelsohn's Songs without Words
    concertos - wide range here, Mozart, Rachmaninov

all to be pretty digestible. Opera in particular is absolutely terrific, but you do have to get the acquired taste piece of the vocal style. In Opera, I'd recommend Puccini - as a writer of "songs" he is without equal IMHO, most especially La Boheme and Tosca have some really terrific tunes.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    op are you still there or are we boring you? :shock:

I'm listening to a BBC radio 4 series called The Making of Music (broadcast a couple of years ago), which charts the history of the Western classical tradition.

It's fascinating, covers the whole range (in snippets) and keeps on driving home the point that most of this tradition relies on its place, both in history, geographically, politically etc.

obvious examples like where would Beethoven's eroica be without Napolean & Shostokovitch without Stalin

So just listening to 'classical music' without any idea of it's context would leave me a bit cold I think.

..but I've just failed to find a link to it on the torrents, have a scour alot of BBC stuff is downloadable (and legit. in my opinion but not the laws..)
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103

I'd also like to throw in my twopenneth worth for Gerald Finzi - I consider him to be the most underrated composer ever. Dies Natalies, Clarinet Concerto, Nocturne, etc. Quintessential 1940's imagery of England. Stunningly simple, yet utterly beautiful.

Yep, we've produced a whole host of slightly "lesser known" (to the GBP) "accesible" talents like Alwyn/Arnold/Bax/Berkeley(Lennox)/Ireland/Rawsthorne/Walton etc - Tippet's Piano Sonatas do it for me (in a big way) - (not that all of his stuff is accesible to the gen. public).

If anyone's interested in VW try some of his song cycles like his "4 Last Songs"/"On Wenlock Edge" etc - beautiful.
  • justresting
    justresting Posts: 292
    Carmina Burana by Carl Orf bits of it crop up in many adverts, once used for old spice & another section for Websters pennine bitter.
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    mr_si wrote:
    op are you still there or are we boring you? :shock:

I'm listening to a BBC radio 4 series called The Making of Music (broadcast a couple of years ago), which charts the history of the Western classical tradition.

It's fascinating, covers the whole range (in snippets) and keeps on driving home the point that most of this tradition relies on its place, both in history, geographically, politically etc.

obvious examples like where would Beethoven's eroica be without Napolean & Shostokovitch without Stalin

So just listening to 'classical music' without any idea of it's context would leave me a bit cold I think.

..but I've just failed to find a link to it on the torrents, have a scour alot of BBC stuff is downloadable (and legit. in my opinion but not the laws..)

Yes still here, taking it all in. Agree that music/art etc has broader context than itself and that it can be thrilling to get that as well - btw Napoleon influenced Tchaikovsky as well!

Am enjoying good book about politics and 60s counter culture music at the moment called "There's a riot going on" by Peter Doggett, highly recommended.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    +1 for Prokofiev...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Carmina Burana by Carl Orf bits of it crop up in many adverts, once used for old spice & another section for Websters pennine bitter.

Of course, for the real diehard boozer [1], both of said products may often be found in the same drinks cabinet. :wink:

David

[1] Fans of Roger's Profanisaurus will be familiar with the charming epithet 'turps nudger'....
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal