greg66's fragrant hands

2»

Comments

• nielsamd wrote:
    Would think any modern glove worth its salt should be able to go in a normal machine wash.

Walking (!) home the other day, I found an Altura glove in the gutter, completely filthy, grimy soaked through and probably run over by traffic for who knows how long. Looked binable but I took it home (in a plastic bag) and gave it a normal wash cycle. Result: one brand new looking/feeling spare glove.

Ewwwwww!

Who knows where that glove had been? :shock:

Yeah! Maybe on a hand attached to someone's arm before it was severed in a horrific accident .. then the gloved hand got lost in the carnage until some rats took it away and ate all the bits of hand from inside it, leaving only a glove...

which has now been cleaned up and is now making nielsamd a very happy man!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Yeah, but the rats would never have got all the hand, so flies would have had to eat out all the fingertips and fingernails while laying eggs which left maggots eating the dead skin before they died of starvation inside the glove and slowly rotted away to icky maggoty dead hand-y nastiness.

Then a dog probably weed on it.
  • Yeah, but the rats would never have got all the hand, so flies would have had to eat out all the fingertips and fingernails while laying eggs which left maggots eating the dead skin before they died of starvation inside the glove and slowly rotted away to icky maggoty dead hand-y nastiness.

Then a dog probably weed on it.

Yeah. Good point.

So, neilsamd, how's that filter on your washing machine working out for you? :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • nielsamd
    nielsamd Posts: 174
    edited March 2009
    :lol:
    In fact I am married Greg66. (You did get me on the checking/cleaning the filter afterwards tho).
    And I have been wearing odd glove combos for years.
    And yes I did consider all those various and sundry horrific things (my dog phobia is no.2s in fact rather than no.1s) but it looks so new and unblemished after the wash.......... I believe in the power of Ariel Bio. Cognitivly, its probably no worse now than the sheets that greet you in your (my?) average hotel. :roll:
  • I really have to go to bed, however I now realise where I am going wrong.

I just wear them till they fall apart, then get some new ones. Maybe You lot have just answered a few questions I have over the years.

If I ever make the Morpeth one day I'll leave them outside looking after the bike......
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Washed my gloves on the weekend on a 30 degree wash with my other cycling clothes. They came out looking clean but still stink! People have suggested putting them in the microwave to kill the bacteria but will this have any adverse affects on them? Mine have a gel padding in the palms which might get knackered up by the heat? Or do I not have to worry?
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Is it possible to turn them inside-out then wash them on a slightly higher heat?

I'd be dubious about gel padding and microwaves too, I think that'd give you bubbles in or even burn your gel.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I soak mine in ~40degs water with a healthy dose of anti-bacterial handwash. Works a treat.

I don't tend to turn gloves inside out if I can help it as it can put a fair amount of pressure on the seams...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • I wash mine very 2 days at least. Wash them on whatever... actually I'll tell the truth, i throw them in the laundry bin and they mysteriously appear smelling lovely and clean on a rack in the laundry room at regular intervals. :? Just buy a good few pairs. Sorry, but imo, wearing gloves for 3 weeks at a stretch is minging.
    Also, if the roadkill glove was bad enough to have to place in a bag to carry home, I wouldn't have picked it up. I could have got you a brand new shoe yesterday which some poor commuter had obviously let fall out of his bag. It's probably had a rat or two overnighting in it by now, but I'll see if it's still there on the way home if anyone wants it.
    Excellent recycling though. Carbon credits for you young man.
    Dan
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Turn them inside out and leave them in the sun - works for my climbing jacket which gets very smelly and has never been washed :oops: (and my down sleeping bag but we won't go there) :oops: :oops:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    nielsamd wrote:
    Walking (!) home the other day, I found an Altura glove in the gutter, completely filthy, grimy soaked through and probably run over by traffic for who knows how long. Looked binable but I took it home (in a plastic bag) and gave it a normal wash cycle. Result: one brand new looking/feeling spare glove.

DUDE that is

NASTY!!!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    You know its time to buy a new pair of gloves when you wash them three times in succession at 40degrees, wear them once and they stink after just one 7mile commute.... :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Turn them inside out and leave them in the sun - works for my climbing jacket which gets very smelly and has never been washed :oops:
    UV kills bacteria. FACT ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I don't get this smelly glove thing so many of you have :?

Why do you have smelly hands? does not compute :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    JonGinge wrote:
    Turn them inside out and leave them in the sun - works for my climbing jacket which gets very smelly and has never been washed :oops:
    UV kills bacteria. FACT ;)

See - science is useful :wink: