Locks?

M1llh0use
M1llh0use Posts: 863
edited February 2009 in MTB buying advice
any recommended - off to the pub tonight and don't really want to loose the bike cos i'm out on it on sunday!!
{insert smartarse comment here}

Comments

• Get a peice of shi* that won't get stolen. Or a Kryptonite lock. They are quality. Have both the New York shacle lock, and the Faghettaboutit chain.

Awesome. Heavy. ZExpensive, but worth it if you love your bike/s
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    Just make sure its not the one which can be opened by a BIC PEN!!! :shock:

Youtube search for the videos about how to open them! lol
    It's been a while...
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    M1llh0use wrote:
    any recommended - off to the pub tonight and don't really want to loose the bike cos i'm out on it on sunday!!
    Get yourself down to a charity shop and pick up an old workhorse for about 20 quid.

The only answer is to ride a bike to the pub that is worth f*ck all. A mate had his £1500 bike nicked before christmas outside a pub. The bike a had a £40 lock on it.

In contrast the bike I leave outside the pub only cost £30 to start with. It is in perfect working order and I look after it where it matters - gears, chain, hubs etc. However I just let the rest of it stay dirty and look tatty. I commute on it as well.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • i'm sensing that this may not be the best idea....
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Graydawg wrote:
    Just make sure its not the one which can be opened by a BIC PEN!!! :shock:

Youtube search for the videos about how to open them! lol

Wasn't that a problem about 5 years ago? I think things have moved on a bit since then!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Kryptonite are still rubbish though. Well, not quite fair, they're no worse than many other locks, just more expensive. The problem's just portability, locks that will defend against a professional bike thief who's targeting high-value bikes have to be gigantic, since there's not a cable lock in existance that'll resist the tools which they use, and there's fairly few chain locks too- all of which are very large, 16mm links and upwards. Anchor chains, really only of use for home protection.

A good quality d-lock is the best compromise really, a good one provides excellent protection, they can be broken but it takes longer than anything else which is as easy to transport. Even a bad quality lock can be a good deterrant as long as it doesn't look like a bad quality lock. But the huge majority of bike locks are no deterrant at all to anyone with the right tools. I could never look at this in teh same light again after

(most bikes are stolen using smaller, concealable tools but they only work on cheap locks- most bike thefts are low-value machines, commuters, etc with lightweight locks, so the thieves don't need anything bigger. But any thief who's going to try and take away a decent bike with a decent lock will have the tools for the job.- most bikes might be stolen with lightweight tools but all well-secured bikes are stolen with heavyweight tools)
    Uncompromising extremist