Japan

jc4lab
jc4lab Posts: 554
edited March 2009 in Tour & expedition
Off to Japan in March with a 14 day railpass..Does anyone know in which town s you can hire bikes ..Thinking of taking a folder instead if there arent that many.. Does anyone have any experience of cycling in Japan and recommend any towns or areas?Cheers
jc

Comments

• You can get them from most railway stations, but they are very basic and small.

I have toured the far north - Hokkaido - but that's a long way to go, even with a rail pass.

Even a folder will have to be bagged when on a train.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    You can hire bikes in both Tokyo and Kyoto. Kyoto is particularly good for cycling - there is even a riverside bike path down to Nara.

Just be aware that it rains a hell of a lot in March. And when it rains in Japan, it really rains (just see any Kurosawa movie for confirmation).

A folder would be very useful in Japan if using the JR pass.

There are loads of useful websites. www.kancycling.org and www.japancycling.org to name just two....
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Thanks very much...Its 50/50 if I just hire one where I can or take my Brommie..Sounds soppy but the cherry blossoms this year are forecast to appear in the souith on 17th March then creep north making it hopefully a bonus..Wouil love to cycle round Mt fuji if it aint covered in Cloud
    jc