Do you drink beer while riding?

roughestrider
roughestrider Posts: 17
edited March 2009 in The bottom bracket
From time to time i like to fill my drinking bottle with beer when i go for big rides. Good fun.

Anyone else like combining riding and drinking?!
I like cycling but I LOVE crazy cycling ventures

CrowdRiders: The world's first pro-cycling team owned and managed by 40.000 cycling fans (www.crowdriders.com)

Comments

• chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    No. Its stupid. I sure hope I never go out with you on the roads.

This might be of some help with your problem: http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk/
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    We usually take a wee hip flask with a wee drappie single malt in it....

just a sip at the top before the descent is when it used...much like a red bull to give little kick.

Though....never any more than a single measure each.....drunk riding is just stooooooopid
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    There was a thread on this a while back. My drink-riding days ended long ago when I found myself glancing off a (slow-moving) car on the way home from the pub. Don't do it, kids.
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    chuckcork wrote:
    No. Its stupid. I sure hope I never go out with you on the roads.

This might be of some help with your problem: http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk/

+1

You're not just endangering you own life but that of other road users. Sell your bike and use public transport - please.
  • iain_j wrote:
    There was a thread on this a while back. My drink-riding days ended long ago when I found myself glancing off a (slow-moving) car on the way home from the pub. Don't do it, kids.

Indeed. A bad idea, regardless of Terry Collier filling bidons with Newcastle Brown for comic effect in a Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads? episode.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465

Yeah, Cobra 0%, Kaliber, Bittenburger drive or Becks "Alcohol Free" (last 3 are as alcoholic as Fentimans cola) would be fine except for their diuretic effect.

Let's just say I would support a move to the limit being 0 for all forms of driving.

Sorry sir, I have to breathalyse you, I suspect you are leading this dog on the public highway while under the influence of Alcohol.

In fact lets classify all use of the public highway as Driving, Drunk pedestrians your next...

Off to write to my MP.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I never drink on rides, allthough I had 2 cans of brown ale and did go out for 15 miles, I was abit wobbly but I refused to believe it was the beer because it was only 2 cans, never again, I felt abit ill.

I cycle to the pub now and again and cycle back, I'm no more in danger than if I did not have 4 or 5 pints, I cycle back from the pub through manchesters city center and I find the taxi drivers, buses are still more of a hazard than me, infact I'm no different.
    nwallace wrote:

In fact lets classify all use of the public highway as Driving, Drunk pedestrians your next...

Off to write to my MP.

lol it's impossible to get rid of drunk pedestrians, how are they supposed to get from one club to another and home? We don't have transporters yet!
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    willhub wrote:
    I cycle to the pub now and again and cycle back, I'm no more in danger than if I did not have 4 or 5 pints, I cycle back from the pub through manchesters city center and I find the taxi drivers, buses are still more of a hazard than me, infact I'm no different.
    How many times has that been heard from car drivers?
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Willhub what about the danger you create and the way that can impact on others? You wobble, car behind swerves to avoid you and hits a pedestrian or another vehicle, you go merrily on oblivious to the kebab shop and everyone else picks up the pieces.
  • nwallace
    willhub wrote:
    lol it's impossible to get rid of drunk pedestrians, how are they supposed to get from one club to another and home? We don't have transporters yet!

Isn't there some law against being drunk or is it only Drunk and Disorderly/Incapable, and selling alcohol to someone who is drunk?
    Do Nellyphants count?

• iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Apparently it's illegal to be drunk in a public place, this ironically includes pubs.

Will, drink-riding is dangerous on the same basis as drink-driving. Your reaction time is significantly slower (ie. reacting to hazards) and judgement impaired.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Drink riding is great fun, especially through the woods at 2am with no lights! Obviously on the road it's not so fun. But i've cycled compeletely wasted too many times, never gotten into bother.
  • I have what could be termed my "pub bike". I use it to go down the pub that is quite a distance away but down a hardly-used track. I don't drink Stella or any other loopyjuice, sticking mainly to low gravity ales in moderation. I agree, getting smashed on beer and then attempting to ride across a busy town is just asking for trouble but with a bit of thought it can be done relatively, although never completely, safely. But there are far worse things going on out there that nobody seems to get in a flap about. I feel far safer on my bike taking this route than walking home down the main road pavements full of drunken yobs standing outside their pubs having a cigarette because of the ill-considered smoking ban!
    Start Weight: 128 kilos (20.2 st) (April 17th 2009)
    Current Weight:119 kilos (18.7 st) (June 18th 2009)
    Target Weight: 92 kilos (14.5 st) (sometime mid-2010, hopefully sooner)
  • Whats the law on drink-riding,is there a legel limit or is it that you're not allowed to cycle while drunk - ie more subjective?
    I do agree that riding drunk is wrong but have to admit to cycling after a couple of pints down an underused cycle path.
  • nwallace
    iain_j wrote:
    Apparently it's illegal to be drunk in a public place, this ironically includes pubs.

It's a case of what you call drunk, only Motor vehicles have a quantitative limit set for what is drunk, where as Drunk in charge etc. is down to the officers judgement.

It's entirley possible to go out to the pub, have a couple and not get drunk, especially easy when you are drinking with the island's polis man.
    Do Nellyphants count?

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    whyamihere wrote:
    willhub wrote:
    How many times has that been heard from car drivers?
    pdstsp wrote:
    Willhub what about the danger you create and the way that can impact on others? You wobble, car behind swerves to avoid you and hits a pedestrian or another vehicle, you go merrily on oblivious to the kebab shop and everyone else picks up the pieces.

To be fair on the Hub, he only ever has 1 or two pints, same as me, over a 3 hour period (both skinflints...... :? ), so we're no where near drunk when cycling home.

Although on one occasion I did have like 6 drinks, and my bike handling skills were fine.........but if I was going at car speed it probably wouldn't have been safe.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    I find if i've had a bevvy or 2 then my energy goes much quicker and i feel like collapsing so i don't bother trying
  • meganS
    meganS Posts: 27
    stupid thing... When you are making an effort...well your body needs water for re-hydratation, alcohol doesn't re-hydrate, it will make you feel thirsty isn't good when you are doing sport.

But after the effort you need your kidney to work properly... and a beer is perfect for that!
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    I can never hold the glass still enough, so I end up spilling most of it. :lol:

It had to be said :roll:
    bagpuss
  • This is why camelbaks were invented...

For the record - yes, but only off-road. Our night rides involve a hilltop whisky or two, and a pub stop.
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    downfader wrote:

Lol

There's a big difference between a summer's afternoon plodding through country lanes with some friends, a pint of warm beer and a pint of water per pub :D, and filling your water bottle on a ride. :shock: Not good. :(
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    pdstsp wrote:

I don't wobble though, the car drivers are the danger still, not me, I'm always looking behind me, I'm more worried when I'm drunk, so if I thought I was going to be a big hazard and get myself and possibly other killed I'd walk or get bus.

I'd never go on a bike if I was planning on getting smashed, but since I don't intend to do that as I don't like it, it wont happen.
  • Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    iain_j wrote:

I think that depends on the local councils. Pubs aren't public places, they are private property that your "allowed" to drink in, which is why they can chuck you out whenever they want.

It's still illegal to be drunk on a bike on the road and not exactly the cleverest thing to do anyway.
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    hence the words 'Public' and 'House". It's just a shame that a 'Free House' doesn't mean that the beer's free :lol:
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    When I'm back darn sarf a group of us often go on tours of the local pubs on our bikes, finish up in our home village and then start drinking properly; on a nice summer's day there's nothing better IMO. But boozing on a bike by myself? Nah.
  • I don't wobble though, the car drivers are the danger still, not me, I'm always looking behind me, I'm more worried when I'm drunk, so if I thought I was going to be a big hazard and get myself and possibly other killed I'd walk or get bus.

I'd never go on a bike if I was planning on getting smashed, but since I don't intend to do that as I don't like it, it wont happen.

I doubt that after 4 or 5 pints you are in full control of the bike. Are you saying tha it would be fine for you to drink 4 or 5 pints and then go drive a car? I don't think so. You are probably all over the place. Seriously dont do it. you are a danger to yourself and other road users.

You say its the car drivers that are the danger? thats like a drunk driver saying its the pedestrians that are the danger, so its not his fault if he kills someone

tell me, is it safe to ride your bike while drunk?
    I'm more worried when I'm drunk
    Notice you said when im drunk?

"Section 30 Road Traffic Act 1988 says: "It is an offence for a person to ride a cycle on a road or other public place when unfit to ride through drink or drugs"
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    Although on one occasion I did have like 6 drinks, and my bike handling skills were fine.........but if I was going at car speed it probably wouldn't have been safe.

If your bike handling skills were fine then I guess your car handling skills would be ok too...
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    I ride much faster when drunk, my wheels hardly touch the ground (I must stress this is mainly off-road).

But no, it's not big or clever, that said IF we get a summer this year my hand will be forced...
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    iain_j wrote:

Will, drink-riding is dangerous on the same basis as drink-driving. Your reaction time is significantly slower (ie. reacting to hazards) and judgement impaired.

True , it is an offence to be drunk in a public place, and best to remember it's an absolute offence (no inent required - in one classic offence a guy was convicted when one copper nicked him in the street after another copper put him there) and a Policeman's opinion as to drunkenness is almost beyond rebuttal in court - always pays to be polite to Mr Plod when you're out on the raz.