Short Trail which starts near station with link to Sheffield

LWCARAB
LWCARAB Posts: 2
edited March 2009 in Routes
Hi,

I've just bought my first mountain bike and want to go out on it for the first time in the peaks on Saturday. I've since discovered that none of the buses that go out to the peaks accept bikes, I was looking at going to Fairholmes as there is a 7 miles route there but can't get now.
I've seen that I can get a train to Hope or Edale, are there any good short/easy routes round there?

Thanks,

Richard

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    The 7 mile route from Fairholmes(Ladybower) is the easy route around the reservoir.
    From Hope or Edale there's nothing really easy.It's all steep bridleways,some rocky,some very rocky.the only easy stuff is to stay on the roads.
    If you've not ridden there before you really need an OS map and be able to read it and navigate(especially if the visibility is poor)Don't just head up into the hills if you've never done any biking/hiking etc.Not wanting to put you off but there were 17 mountainbikers air lifted off the hills around Hope and Edale last year with serious injuries/broken bones and loads more treated en-route by Edales mountain rescue teams.
    You might be as well tagging along with someone who knows the area,its very easy to get lost and/or hurt in the hills.If you do go out alone make sure you're properly equipped.
    There was a trial scheme in 2008 with special bike buses to Ladybower/Castleton,i don't know if it will be continued this summer.