Specialized BG Comfort or Ergon ?

shae
shae Posts: 105
edited February 2009 in MTB buying advice
I get a pain in my hands in the palm at the base of my thumbs everytime i ride, I wouldnt say i have big hands, just "stocky" !!!

I was going to try new grips but wasnt sure whitch ones ? Also some seam to be quite expensive so does anyone have any recomendations as to the best way to chose them ?

Comments

• The Ergons are good, especially the GX2.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    That's be the ulnar nerve getting squished, I used to get exactly the same. I find narrow bars give me the same pain. The only solution I've found it big padded grips and wider bars, 700mm I feel fine with and I've got Oury grips on all my bikes.

I did try ergonomic grips but didn't have much success.

Edit: Oh it was the Spesh ones I tried btw, they're a fairly hard compound and didn't really help matters at all.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Toasty wrote:
    I did try ergonomic grips but didn't have much success.

Edit: Oh it was the Spesh ones I tried btw, they're a fairly hard compound and didn't really help matters at all.

I tried the same grips and also didn't have much luck, I have now put on some chunky grips and when I wear my cycling gloves it seems to be a big improvement, I'm gonna try putting my barendz back on soon to see if changing position occasionally on long trips helps.
  • Ive got a pair of the specialized body geometry one on both my bikes, and I find them much more comfortable. Got fairly large hands, a few friends that have had a go on my bike have both comented how much more comfortable they are and they may try a pair on theres.
    And I beleive that the specialized grips are about a third of the price of the ergons, may be wrong. Couldnt see much difference between the grips when I looked at them in the shop, apart from the bar ends on the ergons.