Schwalbe UST tyres.

Mancunianfightingcat
Mancunianfightingcat Posts: 2,054
edited February 2009 in MTB buying advice
I'm considering some 2.25 Nobby Nic USTs.

Has anyone got experience of running any Schwalbe tubeless tyres.
All I really need to know is if they are air tight or not.
I will be putting some Stans solution in them but don't want to put gallons of the stuff in just to seal the tyres.

So do they leak or not.....?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi
    I've got Racing Ralphs with some sealent in that the lbs put in and they are pretty airtight
    (need pumping up around 5-10 psi every couple of months )
    brilliant tyres except in really muddy conditions
  • How many off road miles do you tend to get them to last for?
  • UST tyres are designed to fit onto UST rims without sealing solution, so they shouldn't leak. However, they will leak on standard rims unless you 'convert' the rim using rim tape, etc. Although using sealant in UST tyres will improve puncture resistance, it is a bit overkill and adds a lot of extra weight. You may be better off using a standard tyre and rim converted with Stans. Have a read here:

http://www.justridingalong.com/content.php?pid=547
  • Thanks Tank,

but I have Mavic 819 UST rims already and have run Conti Mountain King tubeless tyres on them, but they required sealant to make them fully air tight. I just don't want to buy some more UST tyres and still have the same issues, I might as well buy non UST tyres and sealant for less cost and more choice.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    I use Racing Ralphs (EVO UST) + stans sealant, cant say they have leaked, normally check pressures about once a month. I would recommend sealant, otherewise when you puncture (and you will) you are gonna being sitting somewhere putting a tube in or plugging the hole, if you have the repair kit. Puncture resistance imo isnt amazing (well not compare to my previous tyres - conti explorere ust) and the RR's have a closer tread pattern than NN's, but i suppose that depends on where you ride. Saying that i will prob buy another set when theses wear out.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    I'm considering some 2.25 Nobby Nic USTs.

Has anyone got experience of running any Schwalbe tubeless tyres.
    All I really need to know is if they are air tight or not.
    I will be putting some Stans solution in them but don't want to put gallons of the stuff in just to seal the tyres.

So do they leak or not.....?

Thanks

I've currently got those tyres on XTR rims and have previously run them on the mavic 819 rims. No need for sealant to seal them, but I run about 60g of sealant to prevent punctures. I now that this does work well as the other weekend I had a thorny branch 'bit' about an inch long stuck between the knbs of the tyre. Pulled it off and tyre went hissssssssss. Rotated tyre so that hole was at the bottom and it immediately sealed. :D
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Thanks for the help,

looks like I'll be ordering a pair then!

Bu99er, there out of stock now!
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    I use the Fat Alberts on mine they are brill

A friend uses the Fat Albert on the front for extra grip
    and a Nobbie Nick on the rear, being he likes the rear wheel
    to slide out