Beach lifeguards - how much authority do they have ?

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited March 2009 in The Crudcatcher
Can they make you get out of the water or swim in certain areas ? Or are we allowed to behave like adults and accept responsibility for our actions ?

Any answers/opinions welcome :?

Comments

• I would think if you want to swim in the sea then that's up to you!

But, if you're advised or told it's not safe to do so and you get in to difficulty, I don't think anyone will be too impressed.

Is it not a bit nippy to be taking a dip at this time of year, or are you just uber organised and planning well in advance?
  • I suppose they can't force you, but they are there for a reason like to keep you away from danger like rips and stuff!
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    We can't make you get out of the water but we have to explain all the dangers to you and make sure all the necessary safety precautions are In place, If you chews to ignore all of that there Is not a lot that can be done, but If It ever went to court we have been seen to do are job.
    I have seen a couple of incidents were people have been dragged out against there will, normally kids.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • become a poool lifeguard much easier!
  • Sarnian
    become a poool lifeguard much easier!

Why not do both and work at both.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I was a beach lifeguard for a bit - no one ever ignored our advice.
  • Sarnian
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    I was a beach lifeguard for a bit - no one ever ignored our advice.

That Is very true, It does not happen very often, like I said the only time I can remember It happening was with a couple of goby chavs.
  • meganS
    meganS Posts: 27
    I think that the sea is something humans do not control, and we all know that... so I think there is a kind of fear of the ocean, so when a Beach lifeguard tells someone to leave the water coz it's to dangerous, he will and won't hesitate!
  • .blitz
    Thanks for the replies. I was thinking more in terms of 'red flag' situations when surfers are allowed in but everyone else gets an earful of whistle. Presumably if I had a word with the lifeguards before I go in, it would be OK ?
  • Why would you want to go in when red flags are flying?? :shock:

Surfers have the advantage of a board to keep them afloat when the currents turn bad. Ive watched people on bodyboards etc. get themselves into major trouble and have to be rescued by surfers because they are being dragged out to sea by rip tides and don't have the strength (or knowledge) to get out of trouble.

I just don't understand why people want to ignore the danger warnings and put themselves and others at risk! If you go out in red flags and get into trouble, do you still expect the lifeguards to come and rescue you??

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but every summer I see people taking stupid risks in the sea and I just cant comprehend how they don't see the dangers!

No offence intended!
  • Surf-Matt
    I have surfed in red flag conditions before but I always know exactly why it's been done - bad rip, heavy seas, whatever. I don't expect to be rescued though, same as when I surf a remote spot.

I don't suggest doing it though unless you really do know the local conditions - which take years to learn properly. Sometimes the surf is just too good to miss though!

Surf pic someone took of me on Saturday - ducking into a barrel:

MePorthtowan.jpg
  • .blitz
    I just don't understand why people want to ignore the danger warnings and put themselves and others at risk! If you go out in red flags and get into trouble, do you still expect the lifeguards to come and rescue you??
    Whether I go in with a surf board, body board or for a swim, I don't expect anyone or anything to come and bale me out. As an adult I accept full responsibility for my actions and TBH I am more than a little weary of over-enthusiastic lifeguards blowing their whistles at me and generally going apesh*t every time there's more than 2ft of swell. I am looking for some definitive guidelines on how much authority these people have or whether they are simply there to take care of the hard-of-thinking.
    No offence intended!
    None taken :)
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Sometimes the surf is just too good to miss though!
    Exactly.
  • Surf-Matt
    Blitz - when I was lifeguarding we had no real power to do anything against anyone's will.
    Mind you, if someone puts you in danger when you rescue them (people often panic and end up dragging the rescuer under) you are "allowed" to knock them out then drag them in. Sadly that never happened to me!