what tyres

bike husband
bike husband Posts: 124
edited March 2009 in MTB buying advice
I ride a xc hardtail in north Essex/Cambs,where we appear to have glue not mud!!! I have been running Nobby Nic's but these are near the end of their lives.A friend runs Bontrager Mud X TR and loves them.What do you guys out there think? :?

Comments

• Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    I found Nics to be fine in the mud until last week when it was an utter clay fest where I was riding. I put some Mud X's on after that horrible experience and they are very good especially for the money. I'll be switching back to Ralph/Nic combo when it dries out though.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    I've found my Nic on the front end really sketchy so far, but I've only had a couple of rides on it. I might try dropping the pressure a bit and see how that helps, but I think some new tyres might be in order until things dry out a bit
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    I have the 1.8 nics and have had no problems so far just a few fun slides in the snow when finding out there was snow on the apex of a corner and I was going a bit too fast
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    I've found my Nic on the front end really sketchy so far

Can be very sketchy if too hard, I run 30 front and 35 rear, which seems to give a good balance between grip and lots of pinch flats.
  • i have maxxis highrollers they are very good in muddy norfolk well iv never been stuck yet lol,
  • Yep, another vote for High Rollers, riding in Cambridgeshire clay and at Thetford.

Much better than the Spesh Captains the bike came with. The difference is even noticeable when cleaning the bike - the mud just falls off when hosed down.

Bonty Mud X are supposed to be superb in bad mud, but not so great for July 7th (The dry summer!)
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • llamafarmer
    Eranu wrote:
    I've found my Nic on the front end really sketchy so far

Can be very sketchy if too hard, I run 30 front and 35 rear, which seems to give a good balance between grip and lots of pinch flats.

Yeah I haven't really touched them since I bought it, so I'd imagine they're running pretty hard. Need to get a decent pump with a gauge first really :lol:
  • Phew, llama! Glad you feel the same, been finding my NN's a little bit hairy at times - think I will go with Eranu advice as well and run them at lower pressure, they are rock hard at the moment! Sorry for slight high jack - back to topic! :D
  • llamafarmer
    hoochylala wrote:
    Phew, llama! Glad you feel the same, been finding my NN's a little bit hairy at times - think I will go with Eranu advice as well and run them at lower pressure, they are rock hard at the moment! Sorry for slight high jack - back to topic! :D

:lol: Glad I'm not the only one mate!
  • llamafarmer
    hoochylala wrote:
    Phew, llama! Glad you feel the same, been finding my NN's a little bit hairy at times - think I will go with Eranu advice as well and run them at lower pressure, they are rock hard at the moment! Sorry for slight high jack - back to topic! :D

Went out on Sunday and took a tiny bit of pressure out of the front tyre and it did seem to help. The mud was more shallow and wetter this weekend and not as deep and clingy as normal, so it shed really quickly and I found I had pretty solid levels of grip, even on wet rocks. I was following a guy with Trailrakers for some of the time and he was all over the place, so it probably goes down as wet rather than super muddy conditions this weekend and the Schwalbes felt good!

I might look at getting a Nobby Nic for the back as well, as it can still be a struggle to get the power down sometimes, but I was a lot happier with my tyres after this weekend's ride! :D
  • JAGGY
    JAGGY Posts: 167
    1 vote for Mud X's. Transferred from old bike onto new Trek EX8 and are finding them excellent in the gloop of late. Clear really easy and cope with wet roots well. Just experiment with the pressures. I find about 40-45 really good. However when i first got them i was recommended 50 psi but found the tyre bounced off everything with no control.

Got two from Tredz for £40

Cheers
  • JAGGY
    JAGGY Posts: 167
    1 vote for Mud X's. Transferred from old bike onto new Trek EX8 and are finding them excellent in the gloop of late. Clear really easy and cope with wet roots well. Just experiment with the pressures. I find about 40-45 really good. However when i first got them i was recommended 50 psi but found the tyre bounced off everything with no control.

Got two from Tredz for £40

Cheers