What sort of pedals

npowell28
npowell28 Posts: 204
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
I am just about to buy a new bike. I am going to use if for bridle paths, hills, single track etc. Nothing too scary. I'm certainly not going to be doing any massive jumps or drops. What sort of pedals should i buy. Do i need the ones where the shoes clip into the pedal or should i use straps like i do on my commuting bike. You can probably guess i don't have a clue about pedals.

Thanks guys/gals
Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone

Comments

• llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Whatever you feel most comfortable with. There's already a bunch of threads on the merits of SPD/clipless pedals (where the shoe attaches to the pedal) vs flat pedals. Toe straps aren't great, but I used to use them years ago without much trouble.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    just get some normal flat (no clips or straps just a pedal with grippy teeth on it) pedals for now and later on try out spd's if you feel like it.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I agree,just get some cheap flats for now and see how you go ! Wellgos are great value.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    does the bike come with no pedals at all? if it does come with cheapies...just leave them on until you think you need something better.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    You could always but my shimano pedals off me?
    There flats one side SPDS the other. :-)
  • wings988
    wings988 Posts: 106
    I was in the same position a couple of weeks ago. Got a new bike that had SPD pedals with it but wasnt sure I needed or wanted to go for clip in shoes as only been riding 6 months. I got a pair of DMR V12 pedals from the LBS as they had them in white which looked good on my bike. They grip really well onto my trainers and I'm more than happy with them so far. I'm not even sure if they are the right type of pedals for a Trek Fuel but they seem good to use and have a good sized face for your foot and don't slip at all.