how do i make my bke fit me

neil2do
neil2do Posts: 20
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
hi there
well ive just splashed out on a new machine, but i dont feel to comfy.
knowing what i need to do is a bit confusing, what makes a riding position.
is it personal choice or is there a set measurement.
i feel like i want to stretch out more so i suppose i will start with a longer stem.
i have chosen a small size, which is a 16 inch frame 17 to 17.5 fits me better but then a have no standover height so ive had to go for a 16 inch (short legs) .
so what can i do with out having to spend to much any tips please.
thanks neil........

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not all bikes measure the same, you may find a longer top tubed bike elsewhere for a smaller standover.

You can try a longer stem or sliding the rails back on the saddle. This does alter the weight distribution and handling though. Experiment.

If you can't get it right then you have the wrong bike.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    You can fit a longer stem and also try sliding the seat back on its rails. For more extreme seat adjustment you can fit a layback seatpost. All these will effect the handling to varying degrees.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    basic bike fit that i've read on roadie sites is,

saddle height, with the pedal at the lowest you should have a slight bend at the knee but not too strasight as you end up rocking your hips.

saddle rail position,with the drive-side pedal at 3 o'clock the edge of your knee and the ball of you foot or where on your foot meets the pedal, should have a straight vertical line though them.

stem, want a comfortable back position for yourself with a bend in your elbows. this will be your own personal pref i reckon. i've found the longer i've had my bike the more of a racier position i've gone into so lower rise bars for me.
  • cheers,
    i just dont seem to be getting on with my new bike. the bike is a short bike in general, but i figured i would just set the seat back and put a longer stem on after i bought the bike. put a longer stem on today and thats improved the ride, but i still seem to be kind of strugleing to get power down, if that makes any sense. hmm mind you i am use to alloy which is more responsive then steel. so maybe i have to wind her up.
    i was out all day yesterday on my new bike (first ride) at dalby well 3/4 hours and today i thought i might be hurting from a wrong sized bike but no am not just aching.
    so could well be my weak legs. :shock: :D