Stainless brake mounting nuts?

JonEdwards
JonEdwards Posts: 452
edited February 2009 in Workshop
Hi

I had to strip the front end of my road bike down to "de-creak" it.

The brake caliper mounting nut that goes in from the back of the (Easton carbon) fork had corroded pretty badly and was a bit of a b!tch to get out (2004ish Record caliper). The rust occupies a larger volume than the original metal, so it was a) well stuck b) not sure how much good the expansive force would do to the carbon (I'd hope it would have very little effect!).

I've cleaned it up, copperslipped it and replaced it, but it would be much better to replace it with a stainless steel one. Who makes them? SJS do a range of brake nuts, but none of them specifically mention stainless, so I guess it's just more chrome plated normal steel. (I see tastynuts do Ti ones, but they have their own isues with galling)

Thanks!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Titanium nuts into carbon is OK - just check your fork crown isn't aluminium, which is more problematic. Some of the ones I've got have been stainless - suggest you take a magnet to your LBS and find out - high chrome content stainless isn't magnetic.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I personally wouldn't use stainless steel in a stress-sensitive location like that. It has a tendency to be a bit more brittle than normal steels.

Far better just to give the standard steel nut a liberal coating of grease on the surface and make sure you overhaul the brake assembly more often...