Handbuilt or factory wheels??

Aguila
Aguila Posts: 622
edited February 2009 in Commuting chat
Hello all,

I'm plotting some upgrades to my commuting workhorse (a dawes audax supreme '08). I'm replacing the brakes and think the main obvious weak point otherwise is the wheels. I'm torn between getting some handbuilts (?mavic open pro on 105 hubs) or going with a factory set like shimano rs10s.

What do we reckon??

PS commute is 22 miles round trip, all on road, moderately hilly.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    If you're going for the handbuilt option, you need to make sure you use a good wheelbuilder. That said, the wheel builder I use is really good, but I'm narked off with Mavic rims at the moment, so wouldn't mind trying something different. Tbh, I might be having a run of misfortune with potholes and what not. Once I've calmed down, I'll probably get some Open Pros for the commute after my CXP 33s need to be changed.

Hilly won't make a difference - the wheels will be stiff enough if they're built properly (Always Tyred previously commented on this).

I don't know what 105 hubs are like though. If you're racking up over 100 miles a week, it's worth splashing out on good hubs. I had/have Ultegra on mine.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    My current wheels have tiagra hubs so I assumed 105 could only be better! The current ones have been ok over the 3500 miles I've done so far on them. I could stretch to ultegra i guess if it would be worth it.

Which wheelbuilder do you use?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Aguila wrote:
    My current wheels have tiagra hubs so I assumed 105 could only be better! The current ones have been ok over the 3500 miles I've done so far on them. I could stretch to ultegra i guess if it would be worth it.

Which wheelbuilder do you use?

Rob Pennell. Will PM you his details.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cjcp wrote:

I don't know what 105 hubs are like though. If you're racking up over 100 miles a week, it's worth splashing out on good hubs. I had/have Ultegra on mine.

umm?

surley you mean good hubs... chorus or record?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Clever Pun wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

umm?

surley you mean good hubs... chorus or record?

:lol::lol:

Or DTSwiss. I'm loving my new 190 hubs... buttery smooth!