Carbon forks after a crash

londonlivvy
londonlivvy Posts: 644
edited February 2009 in The workshop
I crashed into the back of a car yesterday while riding at approx 12mph - driver stopped very suddenly and her brakes were better than mine (or my reaction times are shoddy, which is also possible).

I hit the car dead straight and hit it with the front wheel and then my shoulder as I was thrown forward.

The bike seems fine - everything moving ok and I'm going to attempt to ride it tonight (depending on shoulder pain) but my question is... do I have to replace the carbon forks after a crash like that? I've heard lots of horror stories about cracks in carbon then failing.

I have a specialized sirrus elite, if that helps.

Thanks.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Clean off any grime on the forks and inspect them for any visual cracks. If you're in any doubt, get them checked at your LBS. Give them a call and ask how long it might take.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Hi Livvy,

Tricky one, since it can be impossible to detect any serious damage, which might be internal and invisible.

I had a pretty bad crash last year when I taco-d the front wheel on my commuter bike. The carbon forks looked fine but they went straight in the bin.

I guess you could keep using them if you think the impact wasn't that bad, but the question is, how well do you value your teeth?! If carbon goes, it is likely to go without warning..

On balance, I would probably accept the loss and bin the forks. At least you won't be worrying about them thereafter.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Is it possible for your LBS to x-ray the forks?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    cjcp wrote:
    Is it possible for your LBS to x-ray the forks?

Without being cynical, I think its worth pointing out the sniggers Londonlivvy might get, if she goes into her LBS and says:

"Excuse me, could you just pop these into your X-ray machine to see if they are damaged?"

Cue replies of "Yes certainly, once our mechanic gets back with the sparks for the grinder..."

:wink::wink: