SLR Camera bag for on bike use

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
I've been marvelling at all the pictures you lot have been taking so I've gone and got myself a camera.

I didn't go halves though so I've bought a nice Canon SLR so I can document my trips in and around London town.

Anybody out there recommend a good camera bag that will work for me when I'm on the bike?

Obviously I'd like to be able to whip the camera out quickish; the bag has got to be water proof or water proofable (say with a cover) and have room for a couple of lenses, and ideally a pair of pants and socks.

Comments

• I have a similar setup.
    I own two Crumpler bags, and I'll be sticking with them for the future - they're quite excellent. I have an enormous backpack and a smaller messenger thing; both camera bags. They're waterproof without needing covers, very well padded, and if you go for a neutral colour then they don't stand out as camera bags.

If you find yourself using a certain lens nearly all the time, make sure you can fit the camera with it attached in whatever you go for. My 70-200mm F/4L is practically glued to my camera, so I made sure both my bags can take it connected.

Also, the Crumpler website is very fun.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    +1 for Crumpler although their naming of products and general 'aren't we fun' mentality gets on my nerves, but they do make exceedingly good, exceedingly waterproof bags. I have a backpack (Farmer's Double, it's called... Told you their names were stupid) and it's great for getting to the camera quickly. You can just unhook one shoulder, swing the bag round and have the camera out in a few seconds, plus plenty of room for other stuff in the bag.

Crumpler aren't cheap, mind... But they are worth the money.
  • i have a canon DSLR with a 18-200mm sigma lens. It fits in the Loewpro Inverse 200 AW. I get another lens, spares, got a rain vover and even clips and straps on bottom to hold a tripod. Plenty of room for yor needs I think.
    shame the rider doesn't match the bike...
  • prj45
    Wow cheers guys, keep 'em coming!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Throlkim wrote:
    I have a similar setup.
    My 70-200mm F/4L is practically glued to my camera, so I made sure both my bags can take

Mine too!

I just use my courier bag, takes my tripod, ball head, camera and several lenses. I do tend to wrap bits in an old jumper though. Not ideal, but it's good to have plenty of room for extras and space for my locks etc.

What camera have you gone for? The 450D or something more bling?!
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    I use a Lowepro Slingshot 100 when I'm out and about...

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Sli ... 2034,4.htm
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I havent ridden around for ages with the SLRs but when I did I had a mini trekker 2 (iirc) with 2 SLRs, several lenses and other bits of kit. Not very comfortable over fair distances. Later I just padded out my bike rack-bag with clothes etc and just took one camera with attached lens.

If I were to do it today by bike I'd prolly use a rack-bag or pannier bag and pad it out.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've got a Lowepro orion thingummy, it's good for the dry but doesn't have a rain cover, waist and sternum strap too.

I did have a dryzone rover that I bought for the camelbak style thing and it's waterproofness but when it came it was the size of a small horse!

I want a crumpler but I'm too cheap.

:twisted: Nikon is best! :twisted:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon :lol:

We have arguments a lot about which is best in my office...
    shame the rider doesn't match the bike...
  • Nikon cameras. Think Tank bag systems. End of discussion.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • bigbelly wrote:
    Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon :lol:

We have arguments a lot about which is best in my office...

Seriously? How is there an argument to be had? Don't you all just gang up on the Nikon-mugs and make them stand in the corner with pointy hats on? :D

As to the OP, for something that's waterproof and gives fast easy access to a large-ish item like a DLSR with lens attached, you can't really beat a courier bag. There are plenty of camera backpacks you could go for, but getting a camera out of them is a bit of a faff by comparison.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I use an Olympus DSLR and off bike use a "LowePro" bag to carry, however on the bike nothing will beat Ortlieb

The "Ultimate" bike bag with camera insert will do all you need and is secure on the bike.....

Handlebar%20Bag%20Camera%20Insert%202.jpg

ortlieb_Hndl_md_yl+.jpg

Or if you are really serious and have lots of kit then there is the "Shuttle" rack pack with photo insert....

ortlieb%20op96e.jpg
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • prj45
    What camera have you gone for? The 450D or something more bling?!

Something less bling, the 1000D, although perversly it seems more bling than the 450D.

I was looking a the crumpler and lowepro bags in Jessops last nght and my eyes were watering a bit, might have to save up for one of them, or ebay it.

In the meantime I've got my fakenger karrimor bag, which is OK, but I keep the camera inside another case inside that so it is a bit of a pain getting it out.

http://prj45.blogspot.com/
  • http://www.warehouseexpress.com
    http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/

I'd very much recommend shopping at either of those for a bag. Warehouse Express is generally the cheapest camera shop, and has great customer service. It's like the Wiggle of the SLR world. :D

Morris Photographic has a huge selection of accessories. One of my bags came from here; but they are very near me when I'm back home - great for browsing.
    One thing I would say about Crumplers is that the thumbnails don't always give you a good impression of the size of the bag. I've previously bought tiny bags by mistake! Make sure you visualise the size before you buy.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    +1

Don't buy a bag from jessop's waaaay overpriced warehouse express is great. And
    7dayshop.co.uk for sundries :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prj45
    I've gone for a Lowepro Slingshot 200.

Amazon doing them really cheap at the moment:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h ... refix=lowe