Big it up for Mavic open pro's

fatgrimpeur
fatgrimpeur Posts: 55
edited February 2009 in Commuting chat
Last night I was cycling home when a complete turd did an unscheduled, non signalled, no lights you turn right in front of me. I'm cruising, probably 20mph, no time for brakes, I hit him square on, throwing me splat down onto the bonnet. There is a huge dent in his car and I rock back into the upright position, dazed. He shouts " you alright mate?" before pissing off PDQ, wheelspin added. I don't get his number, nothing, its fairly clear he's not legit. Anyway, the thing is my frame is f**cked, BUT the front wheel that hit him is perfectly true, nary a loose spoke. Hand built mavics, the true commuters warhorse.

P.S if anybody can tell me how to post a pic from my desktop. I will show you La Damage.

Comments

• don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Look here for details:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12558470

Glad you are OK. Personally, I think I would have preferred the wheel to collapse and save the frame but there you go!
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Have you been to the Police? Hit and run is serious and potentially lethal (the reason I have a helmet camera running when I ride) and it needs reporting.

The motor insurers beaurow (sp?) will sometimes pay out for damage to bikes, you may need to see a solicitor for advice. Also if you are a member of the CTC or British Cycling you may be able to get help off them.
  • Yep, its been reported, they think the car was nicked. Compensation wise I'll have to wait and see, police were very helpful and two witnesses have come forward. Feel very sore today and have a cracker of a black eye.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Yep, its been reported, they think the car was nicked. Compensation wise I'll have to wait and see, police were very helpful and two witnesses have come forward. Feel very sore today and have a cracker of a black eye.

Good luck! I hope they catch the scroat!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Compensation wise I'll have to wait and see,.

Wait and see? You won't get it unless you ask for it (see Motor Insurers Bureau "Make A Claim" (The police will not do it for you). Get the bike to a shop and get an inspection and start the ball rolling.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Nasty mate - heal well..... :?
  • glad you are not too beat up - but ouch... a condor.... :shock: :wink:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    FG - glad you're allright. That's a hell of a lucky escape. :shock:

Bizarrely, I'm seriously doubting whether to buy a new set of Open Pros for the commute because I've lately had cause to doubt them/Mavic rims. It's head on impact, rather than lateral impacts, which these wheels are supposedly designed to withstand.

Did the frame hit the car or road to be dented like that? How are forks, particularly the steerer?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • CJCP I agree on the wheels, I have a set of Ksyiums that have not been a lot of use, i.e rims going out of true etc. The open pros though, when built by a craftsman are seemingly bullet proof. I have been commuting on OP's for around 8 years, never a problem.
    I don't think the frame did hit the car, it was a direct, straight on impact. The forks are fine as they are carbon and they would crack, the steerer is probably bent though.
    I think the head tube took most of the impact and judging by the bruising on my wrists and hands the shock went right through them as well.

Oh well, time to look for a new shiny frame, every cloud etc! :wink:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Oh well, time to look for a new shiny frame, every cloud etc! :wink:

Every cloud and all that :wink::)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."