Dogs on leash petition

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited March 2009 in Campaign
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Leashes/

Not mine but thought I would pass it along. Apologies if its already been published here.

Comments

• in all public spaces???
  • How about a short leash?

Tried cycling along shared foot/cycle paths and quiet country lanes at weekend and came across a number of dog walkers attached to their dogs by long leashes - dog on one side of pathand walker on other - where/how to pass
  • carefully with a ding of your bell to warn them you are coming?
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    can we extent this to the under 10s and over 80s ?.
    It would be better to have them under control at all times and if the dog causes any damage or harm then the owner is to blame ? I cant see the problem with a well trained dog off the leashes if the owner can recall. problem is its rare to see a well trained dog.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    It would be better to have them under control at all times and if the dog causes any damage or harm then the owner is to blame ? I cant see the problem with a well trained dog off the leashes if the owner can recall. problem is its rare to see a well trained dog.

+1
    and stupid people!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Robmanic1 wrote:

+1
    and stupid people!

But then super or nic would end up holding all the leads...
  • downfader

:lol:
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The trouble with well trained dogs off the leash is that when the owner calls they do a U turn across the path infront of you!

It amazes me that these dog owners who may well profess great love and affection for their dogs are willing to let them play in the traffic on a cycle path. Don't they care that I might hit them?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    How absolutely ridiculous to suggest a petition to keep dogs on leads.

It's up to the owners whether their dogs are on leads. And it depends how well trained the dog is. My last dog was trained properly by me and walked by me on walks with cars, horses and cycles passing. No need for a lead at all.

But of course not all owners can be bothered to train their dogs like this and of course will chase anything that moves. Which is when the problems start.

But I don't think you'll get anywhere with the petition.
  • downfader
    How absolutely ridiculous to suggest a petition to keep dogs on leads.

It's up to the owners whether their dogs are on leads. And it depends how well trained the dog is. My last dog was trained properly by me and walked by me on walks with cars, horses and cycles passing. No need for a lead at all.

But of course not all owners can be bothered to train their dogs like this and of course will chase anything that moves. Which is when the problems start.

But I don't think you'll get anywhere with the petition.

From the people I often speak to at work about stuff like this they kind of agree that theres an increase in bad owners. When society fails to deal with problem people, or people fail to act responsibly then new laws always eventually come in

I think a law like this in inevitable in some form.
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    downfader wrote:
    From the people I often speak to at work about stuff like this they kind of agree that theres an increase in bad owners. When society fails to deal with problem people, or people fail to act responsibly then new laws always eventually come in. I think a law like this in inevitable in some form.
    Yeah, but this would be exactly the sort of law that gets passed, but never enforced. Then, when it therefore proves ineffective, another, more stringent, law gets passed. But not enforced. And so on and so on.
  • Surely you should beware encouraging restrictions on people who do things you don't like. Especially when it is on shared paths. I don't particularly enjoy having to look out for mountain bikes when walking my dog (on a lead) in some places, but wouldn't want to try to ban them from being there. Not everyone would be the same.
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    In any public place? Ridiculous! I own a Deerhound- a very large running dog; unless I had an acre or two of private land his life would be quite miserable indeed.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    In any public place? Ridiculous! I own a Deerhound- a very large running dog; unless I had an acre or two of private land his life would be quite miserable indeed.
    Sensible choice of dog for someone living in London then :roll:
  • downfader
    alfablue wrote:

There are lots of open spaces in London... its not all streets :wink:

Back on topic - my initial worry about dogs (and cats for that matter) is this: are we selfishly thinking of ourselves a little too much before we buy these animals?

I used to have a neighbour who would take out three dogs - all of which remained on leash, and none of his animals suffered. As I said before I believe this is a problem society is bringing upon itself. Also this kind of legislation seems to work abroad - the US being one example where certain states have this as law.

rb1956 does have a stronger point in enforcement tbh
  • simon johnson
    alfablue wrote:

In terms of accessible green space, given that I don't drive, London is probably the best for it- I grew up in Derbyshire, which serves as a decent comparison...

For example, in East Finchley, I've got three large parks within a 5-10 minutes walk and then there's Highgate Wood, Hampstead Heath etc

If I'd have been told that he would not be allowed off the lead in public then I would have got another chihuahua:

3323088147_ccd96c91ec_o.jpg (π)

Ill informed comment :roll:
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Surely you should beware encouraging restrictions on people who do things you don't like. Especially when it is on shared paths. I don't particularly enjoy having to look out for mountain bikes when walking my dog (on a lead) in some places, but wouldn't want to try to ban them from being there. Not everyone would be the same.

Exactly. There may well be a dog walkers forum out there where people are calling for 8mph speed limits for bikes on shared paths. That probably seems perfectly sensible to them but I suspect it wouldn't be too popular around here.

The point is that they are 'shared' so if there's a dog running around you slow down enough so it's not a problem. If you want to make unimpeded progress use the road. The last thing we need is yet more petty laws telling us how to live our lives.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    alfablue wrote:

In terms of accessible green space, given that I don't drive, London is probably the best for it- I grew up in Derbyshire, which serves as a decent comparison...

For example, in East Finchley, I've got three large parks within a 5-10 minutes walk and then there's Highgate Wood, Hampstead Heath etc

If I'd have been told that he would not be allowed off the lead in public then I would have got another chihuahua:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 728143.ece

All dogs except labradors and police dogs should be banned. Parks and paths adjacent to housing have been turned into no go areas inhabited by feral drug dealing scum who exercise their killing machines from Rottweilers to Pit bulls letting them roam loose. And the mess these things make. Dog owners think they have got a right for their beast to foul everywhere. They treat all land other than their own as one massive dog toilet. I'm sick of them sniffing around, jumping up, trying to bite and slobbering all over me. Ban them all now. Round them all up and put them down.

The best way to protect yourself against these four legged menaces is a 50,000V cattle prod and pepper spray for the owners or pepper spray for the dogs and cattle prod for the owners.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    Giles Coren - meh.

Enjoy the restaurant reviews, but most of the rest of it...

And he doesn't like bike helmets. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/giles_coren/article3950020.ece
  • simon johnson
    dilemna wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 728143.ece

All dogs except labradors and police dogs should be banned. Parks and paths adjacent to housing have been turned into no go areas inhabited by feral drug dealing scum who exercise their killing machines from Rottweilers to Pit bulls letting them roam loose. And the mess these things make. Dog owners think they have got a right for their beast to foul everywhere. They treat all land other than their own as one massive dog toilet. I'm sick of them sniffing around, jumping up, trying to bite and slobbering all over me. Ban them all now. Round them all up and put them down.

The best way to protect yourself against these four legged menaces is a 50,000V cattle prod and pepper spray for the owners or pepper spray for the dogs and cattle prod for the owners.

I wasn't sure if that was a direct quote, so I had to read that odious little munchkin's article- drivel from the pair of you.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I don't think a law like this is inevitable at all - a law requiring dogs to be leashed would be political suicide for any party that introduced it. I agree with the post that this is just another case of not liking something so wanting to clamp down on it - as there will be people who would like to see bikes banned from roads etc.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I'll sign it if you sign my "cyclists to be restricted to 5mph in public places" and "cyclists must use cycle lanes where they're provided".
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    alfablue wrote:
    Have you ever been to London? If you have then you'll know that there are plenty of parks and open spaces, even in central London, it's not ALL built up!

If anyone's worried about being bit by a dog while cycling, then I suggest you get off the footpath and stick to the road, and ride above 5 mph.
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    My problem is the only cycle tracks they make now are shared so this problem will only get worse.
    We need cycle tracks which are fit for purpose so you can cycle without dogs, kids, OAP etc blocking your way etc. Even when they have a new village built ( which is exactly what the have done in Buckshaw Village in Chorley Lancs. ) with all the space available it is still a shared path come cycle track so it is not suitable for a lot of people who want to get from A to B in a reasonable amount of time.
    I do except in certain places it is the only option to have a path come cycle track, but it is not the only option for every cycle track like now!!!
    So I very rarely use cycle tracks which are shared because of the reasons above and that they are too rough.

I blame the planners in the town halls!
    I would not sign the petition, just sack the planners.
    :roll:
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Quite simply, this will not work.

First, this punishes all responsible dog owners
    Secondly, irresponsible dog owners will continue to not give a toss and carry on regardless
  • From my experience of the basingstoke canal, dogs are a breeze compared to the bike hating walkers, and the doddery people who panic and stop dead in the middle of the path.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Found this article to deter dogs from chasing cyclists and following thread.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/printthr ... &type=post

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=518315
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.