Lancashir/Yorkshire Dales 25th Feb

Mancunianfightingcat
Mancunianfightingcat Posts: 2,054
edited February 2009 in MTB rides
Anyone out tomorrow in Lancashire or The Dales and doesn't mind me joining them?

I'm off work and fancy a good ride, but can't decide where to go!

Comments

• I'm off. As long as you're not a racing snake I don't mind joining up.

Was planning a 20/22 miler from National Trust car park at Hardcastle Crags. Would like to start early-ish, say 9.30.

(Route is a Dave Hill special)

I believe that air belongs in tyres, not under them. That should give an indication of my style.

Your thoughts?
    Frank Yates
  • Sounds like it could be a goer.

Don't want to sound awkward, but It would be easier for me to get to the other side of Heptonstall Moor, somewhere like Worsthorne or Hurstwood, not the end of the world if not, it just means I'll have to get up earlier!!!!
  • Let me play around with maps. I'll be driving through Worsthorne, but the planned route goes nowhere near there. I've got alternatives, so I'll see what I can come up with and get back to you.
    Frank Yates
  • Right,

Start somewhere in Worsthorne, Cant Clough, Long Causeway, through the wind farm, Cold Clough, Shore, the sh1tty lane that comes out on the golf course, Cross Stone Lane, down the zig zags(if we can find them) to the butty van, Lumbutts, Mankinholes, Erringden Grange, HB, Hardcastle Crags, Walshaw, Widdop, that stiff pull/push/walk up to the ridge and back down the fast track.

That'll be more than enough for a midweek ride.

Fancy riding with the original grumpy old man?
    Frank Yates
  • yeah sounds good.

Is Hurstwood car park a good meeting place at 9.30?
  • Have you got Memory Map?

If so any chance of a route
  • topsey_turvey
    topsey_turvey Posts: 420
    edited February 2009
    It must be more than 20 years since I was in Hurstwood, so I've no idea about the car park, but it's only a titchy place so it can't be hard to find. I'll be on the 575 in tean colours, so should be easy to spot.

Route is plotted on memory map. Do you want a .mmo or .gpx file? I'll need your e-mail address.
    Frank Yates
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    If you meet up in the Hurstwood carpark take some change as I believe it's no longer free :evil: . Would join you but it's the middle of the week :shock:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Cheers Jon,

Could park on the road before the car park!
  • Thanks for that, we'll watch out for machines & wardens!!!

Funeral?

Sick child?

"That" time of the month?

I'm sure if you tried........
    Frank Yates
  • A good ride, apart from the block headwind on the last 8 miles or so. Mud and more mud, but a good day out.

Message for Stumpyjon, Hurstwood car park is FREE, but is locked at night, probably to prevent the dogging fraternity doing their stuff.

If MFC or anyone else wants to come round Grizedale on the less well used trails on Sunday, we ride at 10AM. We're a cosmopolitan lot - guys from Chorley, Southport, Leeds, Darlington etc.
    Frank Yates
  • Aye, had a reet good time!

Wind and low cloud was a bit evil, but the sun's out now, I'm all warm and I've just cleaned and polished my bike!

Grand day out! Thanks TT for letting me tag along!
  • A good ride, apart from the block headwind on the last 8 miles or so. Mud and more mud, but a good day out.

Message for Stumpyjon, Hurstwood car park is FREE, but is locked at night, probably to prevent the dogging fraternity doing their stuff.

If MFC or anyone else wants to come round Grizedale on the less well used trails on Sunday, we ride at 10AM. We're a cosmopolitan lot - guys from Chorley, Southport, Leeds, Darlington etc.

A friend and I where out on motorbikes a few years ago and got talking to a Police Motorcyclist a Res. then 2 cars turned up, they all had reg recognition cameras and where in the middle of an operation check all vehicles on the road from Heptonstall to Colne due to the high number of thefts of cars from the car parks.

Sounds like a decent route btw, done bits of it on the Mary Townley