I have a friend, lets call him Jon...

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
I have a friend, let's call him Jon for argument sake..

Now he has really good hardtail bike which he's had for a good few months now(last September).

But only uses it for cycling to and from work. He is bang into stats, forum topics, this site, the latest kit, what forks /components etc.. etc..however he's only ever been on one ride with us (a small forest with nothing major to worry about).

Everytime we ask him to come riding we get an excuse, I bet he's reading this now as well ;).

So how can you guys help my friend get out on his bike and enjoy it more.

Thanks people I know you lot give great advice.

Peace

Gmanuk101

Comments

• davbay
    davbay Posts: 60
    I also know a similar guy. Always lookin at bikes but not out on his as much as he'd like.
    :wink:

I think making lifestyle changes like getting rid of a car (if you own more than 1) will help and make you ride more.
    Anyone else ride a Schwinn?...
  • Sounds like someone I know, apart from he dosn't even use his bike to commute!!
    You have to reallllyyy big up the ride...make it so that HE wants to go, not just that you want him to go.
    Maybe ask him what he wants to ride instead of inviting him with you? then do a couple of rides with him to get his confidence up and maybe he'll join you on something longer/tougher?
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    Sounds like me to be honest, I'd like to get out more but kids, dogs, work, ex wives always seem to get in the way. And when I can make it my mates generally let me down!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Tell err...Jon to go it alone. Mates can be useful but Blitz's Law states that the more people there are involved in a ride, the less likely it is to happen. Go solo and there are no excuses. If someone else wants to tag along, great.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    kidnap him.....

gaffer tape him up, throw him and his bike in a van (along with all your vans) and don't let him out till you are at the trail.

:lol:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cee wrote:
    kidnap him.....

gaffer tape him up, throw him and his bike in a van (along with all your vans) and don't let him out till you are at the trail.

gaffer his hands to the bars and one foot to a pedal (hopefuly so he's facing the correct way :lol:).
  • Anonymous
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    cee wrote:
    kidnap him.....

gaffer his hands to the bars and one foot to a pedal (hopefuly so he's facing the correct way :lol:).

I think we may have a winner!!!! :)
  • tell him falling off doesnt hurt as much as he thinks and to stop watching the crash vids on youtube.
  • Anonymous
    tell him falling off doesnt hurt as much as he thinks and to stop watching the crash vids on youtube.

yeah man, falling off doesn't hurt really,,,in fact doesn't it make you a better rider?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I had to check the OP's location, sounded just like me. Then I realised I have no riding buddies :cry: but at least then I cant let them down when the wife wont let me out! :?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • maybe your mate is so ace at it and don't wanna show-off?? :lol:

I have a friend like that too.... let called him Graeme.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Anonymous
    maybe your mate is so ace at it and don't wanna show-off?? :lol:

I have a friend like that too.... let called him Graeme.

wtf? :)
  • I wish my mates invited me to go out on my bike!

Then again, they're all lazy fuckers who think walking to the pub is too much exercise!
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    i too have a "mate" like that.he usualls says "i'm only out for an hour" which is is usually a lot less and it also includes the ride home.lets call him lee because thats his name
  • :lol: this thread should be renamed " name and shame your crap riding buddies" :lol:
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    :lol: this thread should be renamed " name and shame your crap riding buddies" :lol:

and that "mate" of mine is call Ben. :lol:
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    GmanUK101 wrote:

F**k him. You can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped. No point in wasting your time.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Anonymous
    dave_hill wrote:
    GmanUK101 wrote:

F**k him. You can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped. No point in wasting your time.

Blessed are the cheese makers ;)
  • Easy answer - make him a cuppa, slip him a Mickey and bundle him and the bike into your car.

Remove mobile phone and all money.

Dump him at John O'Groats with bike, map and compass!

'Sink or Swim' tactics FTW! :D
    AT MY AGE, I SHOULD KNOW BETTER !!!
  • tompug
    tompug Posts: 227
    Maybe he just likes collecting bikes. I know some blokes who spend hours fettling their weekend fun cars, buying upgrades but hardly ever drive them. They do it because it's a release from reality, get away from the wife, kids and family.
  • dave_hill wrote:
    GmanUK101 wrote:

Pretty much yeah, if he doesn't want to join you then don't bother, accept he's just not a biking buddy anymore.
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    LOL think we all have one of these friends!

We've got one here who says that he needs to build his "fitness up" whilst he smokes 40 fags a day!

Going solo there is no excuses - and yeah falling off isnt as bad as it looks!!
    It's been a while...