The real reason that LA is back...

josame
josame Posts: 1,141
edited February 2009 in Pro race
Just reading the highly recommended official TdF centenary book and I think I might have the answer...

He really thinks he can get the giro/TdF double!

Reason's:
*As one of the 'Big 5' he is the only one who has not done the double
**In fact he is the only one who has not done the double double!
Indurain even did the double double on consecutive years ffs

Anyway Bertie will achieve it in 2010 so he'll be even more peeved
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I'm not sure if he thinks that he'll be able to do the double - but the giro and the vuelta aren't on the tick list and he's only bothered because it's centenary year !!

trophy hunter - I really hope he gets beaten by an italian rider in the Giro this year
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    How cynical - he's 'Hope Rides Again' didn't you see the posters at ToC? Of course this comeback has nothing to do with ego :wink:
  • To fight for truth, justice, and the american way!
  • I think he's left it too late to try the double - if he does it this year he really is Superman.

Indurain was on the podium of another tour (ie Giro & Vuelta) in 4 out of his 5 winning Tour de France years I believe.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Who thinks he might have had a ban on the sly? I'm surprised this isn't a theory I've heard.

Just to make it clear I haven't heard that and I'm not suggesting he has. I don't want to get sued :shock:

Personally it doesn't bother me whether he's back or not, I have trouble with the cancer awareness thing tho, I don't recall ever meeting anyone who wasn't aware of cancer.

The wife asked me the other day what Livestrong was, I told her it was his cancer awareness charity thingy, she asked why there was no mention of cancer in the name - couldn't answer that one.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Surely it gets harder and harder every year to dominate in more than one GT, so saying that Indurain did it is a bit of a pointless comparison? Reminds me of that Stephen Jay Gould essay about why there aren't many 0.400 batting averages in baseball any more.
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    prawny wrote:
    Who thinks he might have had a ban on the sly? I'm surprised this isn't a theory I've heard.

Fantastic.

That has to win conspiracy theory of the year.

Now let me think, who could have banned Lance Armstrong for 3.5 years (the maximum being 2 years) without anyone finding out? UCI? WADA? The French?

No, I've got it. It was a secret drugs tribunal composed of Elvis Presley, Jack the Ripper and Lord Lucan

Case solved.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    terongi wrote:
    prawny wrote:

Fantastic.

That has to win conspiracy theory of the year.

Now let me think, who could have banned Lance Armstrong for 3.5 years (the maximum being 2 years) without anyone finding out? UCI? WADA? The French?

No, I've got it. It was a secret drugs tribunal composed of Elvis Presley, Jack the Ripper and Lord Lucan

Case solved.

:D

I'd like to thank the academy, god, my mom and dad....

But think about it, if you were keeping it a secret would you stay away for exactly 2 years... :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    MrChuck wrote:
    Surely it gets harder and harder every year to dominate in more than one GT, so saying that Indurain did it is a bit of a pointless comparison? Reminds me of that Stephen Jay Gould essay about why there aren't many 0.400 batting averages in baseball any more.

I don't get you - why does it get harder and harder each year what is the reasoning behind such a statement?
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    micron wrote:
    How cynical - he's 'Hope Rides Again' didn't you see the posters at ToC? Of course this comeback has nothing to do with ego :wink:

We all have egos. You, me, Lance. So he's got a big ego(or so you say)? So? I know plenty of people with big egos. Even like some of them. They are just people.

Dennis Noward
  • Meds1962
    Meds1962 Posts: 391
    I can't see that double being the motivation for the comeback, it's a phenomenal thing even at the height of a career, never mind at 37 after three years out. I think Astana will minimise the risks and have LA supporting Contador for the tour and Contador supporting LA for the Giro or vice versa but not LA going for both. Also I can't believe Contador would go along with being a support rider for both races or even not being on the start line for one or the other.
    O na bawn i fel LA