Wheelbuilders in Edinburgh

Madcyclepath
Madcyclepath Posts: 49
edited March 2009 in Workshop
Having suffered my 2nd spoke breakage in the last few weeks son my way home from uni the other day I'm thinking it's time to get the rear wheel on my genesis skyline fixed gear re-built into something slightly more suitable for the purposes of commuting with twin panniers across the minefield of potholes that is edinburgh!

I'm thinking of using the existing formula flip-flop hub, getting it laced onto mavic open pro rims with nice sturdy plain gauge spokes.

So the big question is, can anyone recommend a good wheelbuilder in Edinburgh? Normally I'd head over to see Big Al at Wheelcraft, Clachan of Campsie but as I'm pretty busy at the moment that's out of the question so it looks like I'm gonna have to go local.

Cheers,

M@

Comments

• balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    I'm thinking of using the existing formula flip-flop hub, getting it laced onto mavic open pro rims with nice sturdy plain gauge spokes.

M@

Paradoxically, butted spokes are more durable than plain gauge spokes, all else even. I suggest 2.0/1.8/2.0 (or 14/15/14 gauge) in the same pattern as is current.
  • balthazar wrote:
    Paradoxically, butted spokes are more durable than plain gauge spokes, all else even. I suggest 2.0/1.8/2.0 (or 14/15/14 gauge) in the same pattern as is current.

Cheers Balthazar. Think I had heard that before actually. I was just going on what I was advised in a bike shop the other day.

M@
  • Al_38
    Al_38 Posts: 277
    I personally like Edi bike coop, get on really well with the guys in there and they are normally really helpful. Otherwise try Bicycle Works In Argyle Place
  • EricE
    EricE Posts: 61
    The Bicycle Repair man (Newington) recently built me a bomp proof pair of training wheels that were very very reasonable. The shop builds good wheels and has lots of track stuff (both guys who work their ride the track). I'll be buying some racing wheels there soon and maybe some track wheels. They understand the fixed wheel thing. Also good wheels built at the Bicycleworks, I have had a couple of wheels sets from them and they have been good too. I'm heavy and they take weight and use into account when building.
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    +1 for Bicycle Works on Argyle Street. They know their onions, they're pretty cheap and stuff is turned round pretty quick.

I've also been hearing lots of good things about the Bicycle Repair Man. Not had a chance to use them yet but will certainly do so in the future.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Would 2nd (or 3rd) the Newington Bicycle Repairman : very capable of building / fixing wheels properly.
    They have repaired a good few of my own - I'd suggest you drop in and discuss your requirements.
  • ok, cheers guys,

Was thinking maybe bicycle repair man as I've had good dealing with them before for my fixed gear needs and, yeah they do seem to know their stuff.

Guess it's time to do some phoning around! After price is still an issue for a poor student like me!

M@
  • ok, after all that advice I've ended up going back to Wheelcraft again as he's undercut the prices of everyone I phoned in Edinburgh and I know from Experience that he builds great wheels (many dodgy landing on my mountain bike have proven that!).

I pick up my shiny new wheel on monday then hopefully that'll be end of broken spokes for a while!

Thanks again for the advice even tho I've not actually used it!

M@