Handlebar - help please.

BMX Bear
BMX Bear Posts: 198
edited February 2009 in Workshop
I need a bit of assistance please,

I start to get sore hands when riding on the bends of the bars after 50 miles or so.

My current bars are Cannondale C3's, at the bends the bars are narrow and pretty uncomfortable.
Even when on the hoods, the heels of my hands get sore on the bars.

I do like the general shape of the bars, they are ergo style with fairly big drops, which I need because of my huge hands.

I was considering Easton EA70 wing bars, can anyone suggest or recommend an alternative.

cheers,
www.icenivelo.co.uk - Norfolks most inclusive cycling club

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Ergo bars are the opposite of their description. Many people find them damn painful. I'd try either a Compact drop (lovely) or classic drop bar.
  • BMX Bear
    I really struggle with compact drops, I've got big hands.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Your bars are probably too low, try raising them a bit and you'll have less weight on your hands ?
  • djaeggi
    djaeggi Posts: 107
    cougie wrote:
    Your bars are probably too low, try raising them a bit and you'll have less weight on your hands ?

And/or you might need to set your saddle further back and shorten your stem a little. Sore hands on the hoods is not a good sign, it does suggest too much weight going through your arms. I'd look at this before spending money on a new bar.

Also, it's not a given that big hands==big drop, it's much more to do with the shape of the curve IME - i have big hands and am really liking my recently acquired compact drop, a bit of a revelation!
  • BMX Bear
    Thanks for the feedback guy's.

I'm riding a Cannondale Synapse, so bar height is reasonably high, I'll play about with the reach/saddle position first.
    Like I said it only really troubles me when I'm on the bends or right on the heels of my hands when resting on the hoods, if I rest the heel of my hand on the hoods with my fingers wrapped round the tops of the levers (if that makes sense) it's OK, I'll try some Specialized bar phat or Fizik gel on the bends as well.

Ta.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    wear gloves
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I developed the same problem of pain in the heels of my hands. Part of getting old for me. :evil: I bought some bars with the flattened tube tops, added some gel pads underneath some padded bar tape and mostly pain free now. Also if the downward bend in your bars is too steep at the hoods it can create a pressure point in your palms, especially with large hands. Try and find bars where the transition into the hoods will be flatter.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    What about some Pro Vibe Rounds?

330634307508a27f3173b.jpg
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • BMX Bear
    What about some Pro Vibe Rounds?

330634307508a27f3173b.jpg

They look like they have a decent sized drop on them as well.
  • BMX Bear
    Just checked out the price :shock: not keen on carbon either, pity :cry:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    BMX Bear wrote:

They don't cost that much £40 -£50 and they definitely ain't carbon.......
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • caw35slr
    caw35slr Posts: 439
    djaeggi wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    Also, it's not a given that big hands==big drop, it's much more to do with the shape of the curve IME - i have big hands and am really liking my recently acquired compact drop, a bit of a revelation!

Which compact-drop bars suited you and your big mitts then?
  • BMX Bear
    BMX Bear wrote:

They don't cost that much £40 -£50 and they definitely ain't carbon.......

Apologies, I was looking at the carbon ones, alloy right up my street & price bracket.
  • Monza
    Monza Posts: 27
    Specialized bar phat tape with gel pads?
  • djaeggi
    djaeggi Posts: 107
    caw35slr wrote:
    Which compact-drop bars suited you and your big mitts then?

3T Ergonova
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    djaeggi wrote:
    cougie wrote:

And/or you might need to set your saddle further back and shorten your stem a little. Sore hands on the hoods is not a good sign, it does suggest too much weight going through your arms. I'd look at this before spending money on a new bar.

Well put. I would also ask if you are "sitting" on your saddle. By this I mean not sliding forward on it because the nose is too low. This often results in added hand pressure
    and "weight going through your arms" because you must use the arms to keep you on the saddle(and not sliding off). Generally speaking(and from what I have read) most riders keep the nose of the saddle slightly higher than the rear. This sort of forces you to "sit" on the saddle. Which is where most of your weight should be as opposed to "going through your arms". It's a tricky business for sure, with not a lot of really clear cut guidelines, what with saddle fore and aft position and stem length also in the mix.
    One thing for sure though is you need to be "sitting"(most of your weight) on the saddle
    as a good place to start.

Dennis Noward