Which Lake District Ride ?

mozejo
mozejo Posts: 115
edited February 2009 in MTB rides
Would you do if you had half a day , had ridden North Face a couple of times and wanted to do something else ? I'm based in Ambleside if that helps , and am a pretty average rider ( to say the least )

Comments

• pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    If you`ve got GPS, or can read a map. Look at this site:

http://www.mtbsharp.co.uk/routes/lakes/all.html

Ambleside: Circuit of Loughrigg, Elterwater, Hodge Close & Ironkeld is a cracking route. TBH you`ve got so much superb riding on your doorstep it`s untrue. Nip into your LBS they should give you a few pointers.

Even Grizedale, away from the NFT is amazing, you just need to get out and explore.
  • I would do that one above as well. You can ride from your doorstep and it's a classic Lakes route.

Can get busy with walkers on a Sunday though.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Get to whinnlatter, about 40 mins drive, but worth it, assuming you have a car
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • mozejo
    Sorry - didn't make myself clear - I'm on holiday there for 3 full days and can squeeze out certainly a morning , perhaps two thirds of the day without the family , so don't want to spend too long getting to my start point . Still - sounds like that is the right ride though
  • marika
    marika Posts: 392
    have a look at flattyres mtb
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    whinnlater seems worth the extra distance over grizedale to me, having said that there's plenty good riding 'au naturelle' to tackle. in Ambleside l :shock: k around what do you see, hills - so ride there and ride up :D
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • topsey_turvey
    topsey_turvey Posts: 420
    edited February 2009
    There's absolutely no point at all in doing Whinlatter from Ambleside if OP only has a morning and a bit. Ambleside is so full of stuff that doesn't need an hour's drive each way, and unless he has zero map reading skills he doesn't need to waste his time on a tame man made route.

Go into Biketreks and ask for one of their route cards, and choose an appropriate one for time available/skill level.

Why oh why do people travel half the length of the country, to one of the best natural mountain bike areas that exists, then stick religiously to man made trails through man made forests?

If you've got Memory Map I can ping you a suggested route or two, right from your front door, that will be far more rewarding than Whinlatter can ever be.
    Frank Yates
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    There's absolutely no pint at all in doing Whinlatter from Ambleside if OP only has a morning and a bit. Ambleside is so full of stuff that doesn't need an hour's drive each way, and unless he has zero map reading skills he doesn't need to waste his time on a tame man made route.

Go into Biketreks and ask for one of their route cards, and choose an appropriate one for time available/skill level.

Why oh why do people travel half the length of the country, to one of the best natural mountain bike areas that exists, then stick religiously to man made trails through man made forests?

If you've got Memory Map I can ping you a suggested route or two, right from your front door, that will be far more rewarding than Whinlatter can ever be.

+1
  • mozejo
    Thanks Topsey Turvey - very good advice . Have been in said shop before and impressed by helpfulness. Was really just wondering if there was a ' dead obvious - you must do this ride ' - given my time limitations , and having done a few trail centres of late , ' au naturel ' does appeal
  • dead obvious - you must do this ride

What pdid said above
    Circuit of Loughrigg, Elterwater, Hodge Close & Ironkeld

I'd do it the other way round, so that Loughrigg terrace was at the end, and you can use the lake as a bike wash. And yes, you do ride through it. Go out a bit from the rocks and it's a flat bottom. Might come nearly to your hubs, but it's great for cleaning the bike.

If you want a more detailed description, just holler.
    Frank Yates
  • mozejo
    TT - muchas gracias again. How technically hard is this ride ? I am medium ability , red not black routes ( so far ) .
  • I'm not black anything. Easy to do in the time available. Lots of options to increase/decrease ride length. So many options round there that you simply cannot fail to get a good ride in.
    Frank Yates
  • marika
    marika Posts: 392
    loughrigg fell and grizedale are awesome rides,detailed easy to follow routes are on flat tyres mtb,just google it
  • mozejo
    thanks Marika - have done and very useful