Today I will be mostly wearing...?

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited February 2009 in Commuting chat
On today's ride I wore....

The thinnest pair of bib tights ever created a totally unsuitably thin cycling t-shirt, plastic gilet and a hi-viz jacket with a broken zipper. Needless to say I was very very cold.

Rumours of spring have been greatly exaggerated - brrrrr!
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Well yesterday I went out for a 10 mile blast late afternoon in a baselayer, my new Marmite top and some tights (no overshoes)

I was perfectly fine and so today in my infinite wisdom I put my Altura boil-in-the-bag back on (why? I have no idea) and cycled the 12 miles to work.

Obviously I got far too warm. I got frightened I would be cycling home later at sunset and would get chilly.

Overshoes definitely not needed for now though, IMO
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Tights, base layer and LS jersey for me, overheating slightly. Wednesday will probably see the arm and leg warmers coming out, as well as possibly a full team kit... :twisted:
  • itboffin
    No overshoes!?! have you lost your mind???? :shock:

Think of the mud & muck :?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • linsen
    How will I show off my shiny silver shoes it I cover them up? Eh? Eh?
    :roll:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:

Wait, will there be muck and mud on your local loop? Il Principe does not do muck, or mud! Should I be thinking winter bike?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:

Wait, will there be muck and mud on your local loop? Il Principe does not do muck, or mud! Should I be thinking winter bike?
    Used to cycle a lot in the swindon area. There's a lot of cattle in wiltshire...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

if it's wet or been wet then yes it'll be muddy pretty much the same as any country ride, today was bone dry - the first time this year i haven't needed to completely wash & dry my bike, so fingers crossed otherwise I might use the tourer, it has mud guards and HUGE tyres.

TART!
  • itboffin
    JonGinge wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Used to cycle a lot in the swindon area. There's a lot of cattle in wiltshire...

I was talking to my father-in-law yesterday* (he's a farmer) he did mention muck spreading again this week, so we should be good by the 8th - hopefully.

*showing me his new car :wink:

100_4836.JPG
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    jash - I would definitely recommend winter bike - we are talking mainly country lanes, mud, loose chips etc - probably not the best country for the Prince :)
  • itboffin
    jash - I would definitely recommend winter bike - we are talking mainly country lanes, mud, loose chips etc - probably not the best country for the Prince :)

Don't listen to him Jash bring the prince and those new wheels of yours :twisted:
  • linsen
    itboffin wrote:

No, obviously you should bring a tricycle or a unicycle and then I will be able to keep up with at least one person :roll:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Il Principe needs to bike the f*ck up, jashburnham.
  • il_principe
    biondino wrote:

No he doesn't, he has a regal air to maintain and minions to do his bidding.

Anyway, today I will mostly be wearing a suit as I have a sodding meeting which precludes bike use... grrrrrrr.
  • biondino wrote:

:lol::lol:

Today I wore shorts! Spring is here! Hurrah!

However, I did wear them with winter boots. The extra support seems to really help my ankle.

I am aware that I looked either a) the height of bike fashion or b) a total plum. There's a fine line...
  • jonginge
    biondino wrote:

:lol::lol:

Today I wore shorts! Spring is here! Hurrah!

However, I did wear them with winter boots. The extra support seems to really help my ankle.

I am aware that I looked either a) the height of bike fashion or b) a total plum. There's a fine line...
    You could cover them with these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Caste ... 360041668/
    ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • What on earth is the point of those? Apart from looking the height of bike fashion, obviously.
  • What on earth is the point of those? Apart from looking the height of bike fashion, obviously.

It's a way of saying to people: "Look. I have so much bike kit, it's unreal. I have stuff normal people can't even conceive exists".

I like the way that you can see the indentation of the "model's" regular socks in his ankle just above these. :D:D
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • linsen
    mmm they are such a practical colour too.
    :roll:
  • Yeah, and you totally can't see the shoes through them at all.

It's also 'I have stuff that normal people can't even see a purpose for after they've thought about it...'
  • But don't forget they have Cordura high abrasion fibres. So that's OK.

Saw a guy out the weekend before last - head to toe in black with white Assos (I think) overshoes. They looked brand new and pretty cool but after a couple of rides they'd be ruined. Otherwise I'd have a pair. :wink:
  • jonginge
    Harumph. They do have a purpose but as you all being so mean I'm not going to share :P

:lol:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Ah go on... Enlighten us philistines!

You're wearing them now aren't you? Over your office shoes? Hmmmmm?

• jonginge

Ok, so their purpose is limited but twofold:
    1) Keeps shoes clean (for those with white shoes, natch)
    2) Keeps some wind/water out of light, airy race shoes

Obviously overshoes are much more effective at performing the above tasks but make you feel like you riding through treacle.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    JonGinge wrote:

Ok, so their purpose is limited but twofold:
    1) Keeps shoes clean (for those with white shoes, natch)
    2) Keeps some wind/water out of light, airy race shoes

Obviously overshoes are much more effective at performing the above tasks but make you feel like you riding through treacle.

I'm with you Jon. 2 pairs here, 1 Castelli, 1 Prendas!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    They look as if you've come out in your socks - just come back from Total Bike and drooling over the Pinarellos in the window - sigh!
  • itboffin
    Normal clothes as I've spent the whole day on the phone :twisted:
  • I didn't wear my overshoes today, in a moment of Spring rashness. But I missed them: still too cold at commuting time IMO. Probably only a week or so more...

I did ride on Sunday with summer bib shorts & leg warmers - felt fine (when accompanied by overshoes and a woolly LS jersey!)
  • Shorts and vest and cycling jacket, I was lovely comfortable it was even warm enough in sunny Sheffield to take the jacket off!

Spring has landed!